Announcements > News Articles

Virgin Media increasing speeds, and DOCSIS 3.1 on the horizon

(1/3) > >>

Bowdon:
I noticed 2 bits of good news on the Virgin Media front;

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/virgin-media-uk-to-launch-500mbps-broadband-in-spring-2019.html

--- Quote ---Cable ISP Virgin Media UK (Liberty Global) has published their latest results to the end of 2018 (calendar Q4), which saw their network extend to cover another 144,000 premises and their broadband base grow to total 5,224,600 (up by 21.7K in the quarter vs 36.4K in Q3). But they’re also boosting top speeds from 350Mbps to 500Mbps!
--- End quote ---

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/virgin-media-hints-at-launch-of-two-uk-gigabit-broadband-cities.html

--- Quote ---The boss of European cable operator Liberty Global, Mike Fries, has revealed to investors that they intend to launch “two gigabit cities” in the UK this year via Virgin Media, which as the name suggests could result in related homes gaining access to speeds of 1Gbps (1000Mbps+) using the latest network upgrades.
--- End quote ---

It looks like Mike Fries is now seeing the competition and as begun the process of increasing speeds, pushing the limit from 350Mbps to 500Mbps, and also there is an increase in the upload speed to 35Mbps which will be something that I know some people find even more important than the download speed.

Also we see the first mention of the gigabit products on the horizon with the possiblity of DOCSIS 3.1 making its debut in the UK. This will be interesting to watch their deployment and progress as it could be a game changer if its done right and the feedback is good.

Ronski:
Wonder if I'm in line for a free speed upgrade  :fingers:

Not that I need it mind you, although a better upload will be welcome.

j0hn:

--- Quote from: Ronski on February 28, 2019, 03:48:03 PM ---Wonder if I'm in line for a free speed upgrade  :fingers:

Not that I need it mind you, although a better upload will be welcome.

--- End quote ---
Reboot the Virgin modem, you may already have the extra upstream.

Ronski:
Great thinking John, I totally forget that I need to reboot it for things to change

The upload has almost doubled  ;D, downstream is still the same though. I think the firmware may have updated as well, its showing software version 9.1.1802.610

ETA Seems the firmware update was from February, probably just updated as it's the first time its been turned off in a long time.

Chrysalis:
pretty nice ronski :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version