Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Downloading a scammers files - youtube  (Read 3141 times)

vultura

• Reg Member
  • ECI Cabinet Afflicted
Downloading a scammers files - youtube
« on: February 27, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »

Courtesy of Jim Browning, I like what he does to various scam perpetrating scumbags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRbUhhQmZs
Has anyone seen my signature, it seems to have disappeared, along with Openreach turning on G.INP on ECI cabinets ever again.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Downloading a scammers files - youtube
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »

Truly genius.   ;D

I’d not like to try and replicate it, mainly as I fall far short of the skills required (acting as well as technical!), but I shall think of that video in future, whenever I’m giving my time to annoy a scammer.

Also fascinating to hear how such calls actually work out, given apparent co-operation by a target.  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »

I had two parasites call yesterday . . .

The first one, once she had finished gabbling telling me she was "Sarah", calling from the "BT Openreach Technical Support Department", started to scream when I told her that her claims were false. I just left the phone handset, leaving the call connected, and did other things.

The second one, male, told me he was "Gordon", calling from the "BT Openreach Technical Support Department" and asked if he could speak to the person responsible for "the Broadband". My reply was a plain, calm, single word: "No". Once again I just left the phone handset, leaving the call connected, and did other things.

Both "Sarah" and "Gordon" had very heavy Asian accents.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vultura

• Reg Member
  • ECI Cabinet Afflicted
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:37 PM »

The first one, once she had finished gabbling telling me she was "Sarah", calling from the "BT Openreach Technical Support Department", started to scream when I told her that her claims were false. I just left the phone handset, leaving the call connected, and did other things.

The second one, male, told me he was "Gordon", calling from the "BT Openreach Technical Support Department" and asked if he could speak to the person responsible for "the Broadband". My reply was a plain, calm, single word: "No". Once again I just left the phone handset, leaving the call connected, and did other things.

Both "Sarah" and "Gordon" had very heavy Asian accents.  ::)

Of course we are fully aware that Openreach do not have contact with consumers, but the general public at large do not and that gives these scammers a way in.
Has anyone seen my signature, it seems to have disappeared, along with Openreach turning on G.INP on ECI cabinets ever again.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:12:25 PM »

I tend to think a golden opportunity arises, when a customer calls a genuine helpline, to be answered by a recorded message saying “we are experiencing high call volumes, press <whatever> and we will call you back”.

That creates a window of opportunity whereby a customer is actually expecting a call to sort out a problem.    Moreover, if he/she is a customer of a Company that uses outsourced call centres, the accent and personality of the scammer may well be precisely in line with expectations...

The chances of a random scam call randomly hitting such a window of opportunity are slim, but I suspect the rewards may be so great as to make the long odds worthwhile. :(