Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1TB Micro SD cards are now a thing...  (Read 3366 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
1TB Micro SD cards are now a thing...
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/2/25/18239433/1tb-microsd-card-sandisk-micron-price-release

$499 - Certainly a great achievement but I wont be paying that price and wondered who would?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: 1TB Micro SD cards are now a thing...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »

Useful for photographers maybe?    The camera I play with these days is pretty run of the mill, 20 Megapixel sensor.   Storing Raw images as well as .jpgs, coupled with use of burst mode, exposure bracketing, and all these good modern things, a 64GB card fills surprisingly quickly.

Even more so for video.   Video is not really something I do, but istr that 1TB is only about 2-3 hours of uncompressed 4k.

That said, even though the cost per bit is probably on a par with smaller cards, I’ll not be buying one til the price drops an awful lot. :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/2/25/18239433/1tb-microsd-card-sandisk-micron-price-release

$499 - Certainly a great achievement but I wont be paying that price and wondered who would?

Given recent events concerning The Verge attempting to hand out malicious DMCA Copyright claims against YouTubers who mocked 1 of the worst instructional videos I've had the displeasure to watch, I will not be clicking that link and giving them ad revenue.

The original shockingly bad PC build video

The 2 videos that received the copyright claim from The Verge.

Bitwits YouTube video

ReviewTechUSA's YouTube video

Article discussing what happened.

I watched all the above videos months ago. For Vox Media (The Verge's parent company) to issue Copyright claims months later on what is clearly "fair use" is very poor of them.
Every time I go on YouTube I now pop on their YouTube channel and take the time to down vote their latest videos.

Great news on the 1TB micro SD cards though! Amazing how quick the storage has expanded on these cards.
I paid over £40 for a 128MB card a number of years ago.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

vultura

• Reg Member
  • ECI Cabinet Afflicted
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:36:19 PM »

Plenty of "1Tb" cards around on eBay for less than £30, just don't try and actually use them.

:lol:
Has anyone seen my signature, it seems to have disappeared, along with Openreach turning on G.INP on ECI cabinets ever again.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »

Plenty of "1Tb" cards around on eBay for less than £30, just don't try and actually use them.

:lol:

i know... 512Gb and 1024GB on WISH.COM for £5 and £7 respectively...an absolute bargain  :lol: - obviously they are usually 16GB cards with the fw mod to show more and to re-write over itself.. same with the USB sticks on there...cant believe my mother shops on that site every week, she just chucked away a mobile worth £90 from wish, it was carp.

@j0hn - interesting, think i will take a gander
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything