Broadband Related > ISPs

Which ADSL2+ provider?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Weaver:
I do indeed bolt multiple dsl lines together, getting multiple speed on single downloads in either up or down direction. The vastly increased reliability that I get is superb, as one line can fail and no one ever notices.

huwwatkins:
Hi
I do plan on doing something similar but using two Open VPN connections to machine I have in a hosting centre, bonding them together and using per packet round robin load balancing. I suspect there will be issues with out of order packets but we will see. Failing that I may be giving AAISP a call.

I think FTTP might be coming but getting solid information out of my regional BDUK people is proving difficult.

Weaver:
Out of order packet phenomenon can be a nuisance for me sometimes I suspect, no proof without struggling poring through traffic captures. I have four lines which is one too many and lines with differing speeds, wildly so on the upstream which could well be causing me performance problems.

I would think some systems software is better than other offerings in respect of how intelligently and responsibly it handles out-of-orderness. It would be nice if protocol stack designers had experience living with it themselves so that they would be motivated to do the right thing.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: siofjofj on February 24, 2019, 05:27:31 PM ---Certainly the OCEs on the forum for TT retail tell users it can't be, but it may be the case that users that previously had it disabled continue to be in that situation (e.g. burakkucat).

--- End quote ---

I have a suspicion that there has been some misunderstanding by the "lower levels" of TT support . . . A misunderstanding based upon the two different DLM processes: the Openreach DLM version for the FTTC GEA product and the TT DLM version for their ADSL product.

siofjofj:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on March 04, 2019, 09:23:15 PM ---I have a suspicion that there has been some misunderstanding by the "lower levels" of TT support

--- End quote ---
Quite possibly. I've never pushed the issue since requesting a reset is very easy.

--- Quote from: burakkucat on March 04, 2019, 09:23:15 PM ---A misunderstanding based upon the two different DLM processes: the Openreach DLM version for the FTTC GEA product and the TT DLM version for their ADSL product.

--- End quote ---
There certainly is this confusion on their forum without a doubt. When I requested a DLM reset last time, the first reply to my post was from a "Community Superstar" (not TalkTalk staff, just a volunteer forum moderator I think) who said that only Openreach can perform a DLM reset. They then told me to do a "30 minute reset", meaning leave the router off for 30 minutes as this "resets the DLM". Of course this is complete rubbish, and probably is a corruption of the advice you can find on this site advising that when turning off a VDSL modem it should be left of for 30 minutes to prevent DLM seeing the resync as instability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version