Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPhone, iPad Email Return Address (Reply-to).  (Read 4327 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
iPhone, iPad Email Return Address (Reply-to).
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »

On our laptops we use 'Thunderbird' email browser, on that there is a place to put in a ''Return Email Address' (reply-to) being different from the one it was sent from. (This is sent with the email and people click 'reply' the mail will go back to that address and not the one it was sent from).

Does anyone know if there is such a setting on an iPhone or iPad ?, I can not see one unless it is in an obscure place.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:56:47 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: iPhone, iPad Email Return Address (Reply-to).
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »

Hi tickmike

I believe it is the field called Email

Shown just under name (the second field down)

I believe this because you have to enter Authentication details on server fields

Sorry if I am wrong as it is something I do not have to do

Many thanks

John

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:17:12 AM »

Using native mail App if you have set up a second mail account  (from within ‘settings’) then I am pretty sure you can select either one as the ‘from’ address, when composing or replying. 

My iPad has just one mail account configured and when I compose new mail or hit reply I can set “cc/bcc” as you’d expect, but no sign of any ability to change the “from” address.   Whereas my iPhone has two accounts and the “cc/bcc” field also includes the word “from”.   When tapped, it expands to allow me to override the other account as “from” address.

But I don’t think you can use that to set up a spurious account to spoof any old mail address, the iOS native mail setup needs to be an account one for which you have valid authentication details.   You can also install different mail Apps, which might allow greater amount of tweaking, but not sure how effective such Apps are in iOS.

Might be wrong, happy to stand corrected. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:21:42 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »

Hi.

Under 'Mail' settings there are no way to add any 'Reply-to' address.
but like you say "When tapped, it expands to allow me to override the other account as “from” address."
which would work as long as I remember to change it.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.