Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach UK in World’s First Trial of Air-Blown Ribbon Fibre Cable  (Read 1598 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/openreach-uk-in-worlds-first-trial-of-air-blown-ribbon-fibre-cable.html

Openreach (BT) has claimed that they could boost the roll-out of their new 1Gbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband ISP network by using a new type of air-blown ribbon fibre cable, which can be deployed “five times faster” than conventional cabling and is now under trial in Leeds UK.

If this works then it will significantly improve the rate of deployment of full fibre. I think with CityFibre on the scene its sparked a new technology deployment race which can only be good for the consumer.

I noticed in the article it mentions this is being trialed in Leeds. I was reading another article about CityFibre deploying in Leeds also. It feels like either OR or CityFibre are already going in to the same places even at this early stage. I don't know why this is practical in the long term. In areas were there are 2 or more competing fibre networks then neither network will get as much return on their investment. It would have been better if they avoided each other and built up whole cities with one major network, and maybe in the future add other networks. Thats just my two penny's worth though.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach UK in World’s First Trial of Air-Blown Ribbon Fibre Cable
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »

I think with CityFibre on the scene its sparked a new technology deployment race which can only be good for the consumer.

This type of technology is developed to be deployed all over the world.

The presence of CityFibre hasn't magically made OpenReach up their game.
OpenReach are simply trialling a new deployment method invented by someone else. The same as last weeks announcement about micro ducting.

If OpenReach didn't trial it someone else would.

It makes sense to make deployment of FTTP cheaper even if you are a monopoly with no competition.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:20:25 PM »

Where in the country are you, Bowdon?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

Where in the country are you, Bowdon?

I'm on the Shaw exchange (LCSHW), near Oldham. Which comes under Greater Manchester.

We seem to be a little slow in rolling out technology on the exchange. I've had a couple of rants in the past about it  ;D
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 05:10:11 PM »

Leeds has a lot of housing that's very, very accommodating for FTTP. The urban area as a whole is pretty dense. Get 20% of the market having spent £400 per premises passed you're in a better place than 35% on £750.

I'm not a fan of the infrastructure competition but it's how Ofcom have ensured things are. In an ideal world there would be a single point to point network operators could light fibre on.

anything