Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Email SMTP Server ?.  (Read 18792 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Email SMTP Server ?.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 10:45:39 AM »

Hi tick mike

Many thanks

Yes very helpful as they confirm that the access is locked to their network only for sending email and no security is used for encryption

Do your mobile provider have smtp servers you could use

If not, you would have a few options as follows

Change providers
Use your own domain on a hosted service
Create a dial in vpn to your home network and when using mobile, connect to vpn first, so you are using your home broadband
Use webmail
Do nothing and not be able to send email
Create a free email account and put forwarders on your current email so you then use the free account (note your email address would change to the free email account). I guess this means you then are really a new email account
Upgrade your legacy account with kcom if they have a service which allows for any connection

I hope that helps a little and sorry if I have missed any more options

Many thanks

John

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »

I'm guessing that forwarding isn't even an option with such a poorly specified mail system, using a Gmail account to fetch the mail wouldn't work either without authentication.
I suppose webmail is the easiest option in the short term.
Time to ditch Kcom I think.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »

The best answer would be to use a hosted service, John (d2d4j) has an excellent deal for forum members. I've been using it for our family for around a year now and it's been excellent.  I have my own domain name which also makes my email address a lot much more professional looking and I don't feel tied to my ISP in fear of losing our email addresses.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »

Echo the advantages of getting your own domain and using a hosting service.    Big advantage is it’s unaffected when you switch ISP, and manageable ( small amount of hassle) if you ever want to switch hosts.   Your contacts do have the pain of a transition to new addresses but as long as you choose a domain name that suits you for rest of life, the transition is a one-off.

Although zen is currently our ISP, our domain is currently hosted by Google G Suite which is pretty good in every way, as long as you don’t need privacy.    Unfortunately that’s highly expensive nowadays, I got in early when it was called Google Apps had a ‘free’ version, and we still get to use it for free.

I have never investigated the details, but have no reason to doubt that John’s service will be every bit as good, or better, than G Suite. :)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »

I have never investigated the details, but have no reason to doubt that John’s service will be every bit as good, or better, than G Suite. :)
I can confirm the service and assistance from John is first class.  :)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 02:26:44 PM »

As I put earlier EE is our family's phone network provider and they do not have SMTP servers (Just contacted them).

I have got myself an icloud.com email account (and some years ago set up a gmail.com account for my daughters laptop when she was at uni.) and can use there SMTP servers to send mail through.
Both these setups change the email header to either @icloud.com or @gmail.com

Thinking about it I do have a Domain of my own (.co.uk) (free from an Kcom/Eclipse promotion they did some time ago)
I was going to have a self catering holiday let so I have a domain for that, so the Email address associated with that would they be on a different system to my 10 free emails with my internet connection.

Edit...Thanks for all the help  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:37:17 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »

Hi

@tickmike - hope it all goes well and at least you now know

Thank you ronski and vic for your kind words. We do try hard

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 12:44:27 AM »

What Ronski said.

I did indeed do just that, had my own domain name and bought email service provisions separately so that it had absolutely nothing to do with any ISP just exactly for this reason, so I would not be tied in to any particular ISP, could change ISPs, and would not have any problem of not being located in the ‘right’ network when sending email.

Now my preferred email service provider no longer exists, sort-of, because they got swallowed up by someone else. I’ve just moved email, domain registration and dns server provision to my ISP, AA.net.uk.

With AA there’s no problem with sending emails when you are in the wrong network, since you just authenticate before sending. Description is at https://aa.net.uk/domains-email.html [[btw is it just me or is there some extremely confusing English in the sentence “You can normally only send email via our email gateway if you are connected via our internet service.” - seems ambiguous ?]]

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »

I can confirm the service and assistance from John is first class.  :)

Me too. Decided to switch my domain email from Namesco to John last night and he has been incredibly helpful. Pretty much all done now with no loss of service. Can't recommend enough.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

[[btw is it just me or is there some extremely confusing English in the sentence “You can normally only send email via our email gateway if you are connected via our internet service.” - seems ambiguous ?]]

I read that as a typical A&A written sentence and have not attempted to parse it into sensible English. After reaching the fourth word in the sentence, I gave up. Words three and four are nonsensical in their current, adjacent, placements.  ::)

The sentence should begin ether as --

"You can normally send . . ."

-- or as --

"You can only send . . ." 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 06:21:53 AM »

Programmers in my experience are not allowed to be able to write english when they speak it natively.
Pages: 1 2 [3]