Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Email SMTP Server ?.  (Read 18791 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Email SMTP Server ?.
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »

When you are away from your own ISP WiFi connection and its SMTP server what (Edit) Free SMTP Email Server do you use for iPhone or iPad ? say when on holiday or working away . :-\

1.. Say you had a WiFi connection only.
2..You had No WiFi could you use 'Data' if there was a signal.
3 .. You had both available .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:09:39 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Email SMTP Server ?.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »

As long as your ISP uses authentication, which I suspect most if not all do, you still use their SMTP server. You don't need to be connected to the ISP to use it.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »

But most ISP's block there SMTP server away from your address to stop it be used for 'Spam' by others.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »

I had this  issue years ago so simply used Gmail to send and set the appropriate email return address. Since using a proper hosted email service its not an issue.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »

Try port 587 instead of port 25!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:52 PM »

But most ISP's block there SMTP server away from your address to stop it be used for 'Spam' by others.
No they don't, that's why they use authentication. How do you think people use their mobiles for email?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »

Try port 587 instead of port 25!
Port doesn't usually matter, that is just for encryption or not, it is authentication that matters, i.e you have to log in with username (email address) and password.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »

What licquorice said. And if you do get problems with your isp then there are separate mail providers that you can use. I used to use ukservers until unfortunately they were sold and got swallowed up last by someone else year. Consult your isp about the problem of access to smtp when off their network.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »

In fact, andrews and Arnold do email services and if you are stuck you could ask them about buying an email service from them.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »

@licquorice

Port 587 is nothing to do with encryption (it can be used with or without). 587 is the mail submission port which should be used for sending (submitting) mail. Port 25 is the mail relay port primarily intended for passing mail between mail servers. I've not come across a mail server that doesn't handle port 587.

Many places (e.g. mobile networks or hotel WiFi) block port 25 and say you must use their server but do not block port 587.

There's no reason not to configure your mail client to use 587 all the time.

You are correct in saying authentication matters. No properly configured ISP server will accept mail (port 25 or 587) from outside the ISP's network without authentication (if it did it would quickly be blacklisted as being an open relay). I've not come across a server that didn't support authentication when connected internally even if not needed, so again that should be your default configuration.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:20:57 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »

Good idea to avoid port 25 because some evil networks redirect it to their servers, and that means you will be revealing your password to people that you don’t trust. I personally caught one isp doing this and complained bitterly to them about it.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »

@jelv Yes, I was thinking of port 465 which is encrypted.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 06:17:51 PM »

@Mike,

As others are saying, most ISPs do allow remote access via mobile data etc, it’s just a case of configuring it cortectly.   It seems unlikely that an ISP would restrict email to their own network; In this age of mobile devices, they’d lose too many customers.

If you care to name your ISP, and the mobile device you want to use (iOS I assume?), more specific advice might be forthcoming, :)

@Ronski...
I had this  issue years ago so simply used Gmail to send and set the appropriate email return address. Since using a proper hosted email service its not an issue.
... I used to do likewise, in days of old.  But  I’d not recommend it these days, as mail sent with a spoofed or unexpected return address may be flagged as spam, hence might never reach the recipient, and the sender may never know it failed.   Note the “mays”  and “mights” meaning, in effect, “sometimes and sometimes not”.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 10:31:07 PM »

Well the last time I asked my ISP Eclipse (Business) they said it would not work away from home but I have not tried it recently.
mail.eclipse.co.uk port 110 for receiving mail.
smtp.eclipse.co.uk port 25 for sending it.

My self, My wife and our Daughter use iPhones we are all on EE (but they do not have any SMTP servers.)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:10 PM »

Hmm, I am failing to find anything obvious.   Eclipse seem to be pitched as primarily business-oriented, I wonder if there is an assumption that users will have their own domain for mail?

That said, from KCom’s home page, following a “webmail” link on an iPad, invites me to download an iOS profile, to “configure email, contacts and calendaring”...

https://webmail.eclipse.net.uk

No idea if that is useful or even relevant, and I don’t know what would happen if you clicked the link.  I do agree it is not as clear cut as I expected.
Pages: [1] 2 3