Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bribing ISP  (Read 1863 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Bribing ISP
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:45:26 AM »

Chuir mi botail de dh’uisge-beatha dhan ISP agam an-dé. [I sent a bottle of whisky to my ISP yesterday.]

Decided to keep my isp sweet after the massive grief that they have had with me, with repeated dsl line faults. I do pay them four times the regular amount mind you - For four lines. And I pay for ‘premium’ traffic priority too. But probably all that money goes to BT or Openreach for all I know. (Is that correct?)

Got a reply with a nice photo. Apparently tech support was fighting over it, so it was raffled off.

Sent one to RevK too.

Amazon very effective for this. Incredibly fast. Next day delivery free. Charge £3 if you want gift wrapping though.

Let us know if you try this with your isp. Is the technique effective ? Does your link go any faster or is cs any better?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Bribing ISP
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:22:47 PM »

. . . probably all that money goes to BT or Openreach for all I know. (Is that correct?)

It will eventually end up in the BT Group plc accounts.

Let us know if you try this with your isp. Is the technique effective ? Does your link go any faster or is cs any better?

:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:48:02 PM »

This is probably the no. 1 best post I have read on this forum about the most effective way to improve your broadband connection.
Perhaps it could be pinned?

Was it Talisker? (Borderline undrinkable, ... mine's an Ardbeg.)

vultura

• Reg Member
  • ECI Cabinet Afflicted
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »

Perhaps more effective to treat the local OR engineers the same way.
Has anyone seen my signature, it seems to have disappeared, along with Openreach turning on G.INP on ECI cabinets ever again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 11:13:39 PM »

My throat embrocation is labelled "Bushmills".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »

I would think it would possibly only work at the smaller ISPs in that it gets your name known.   Wouldnt think it was worth trying it with the larger ISPs

And I pay for ‘premium’ traffic priority too. But probably all that money goes to BT or Openreach for all I know. (Is that correct?)

The basic service is wholesaled by BTw at a fixed rate, then the ISP add their slice of profit on top.  afaik it has nothing to do with Openreach as you are paying for priority within BTWholesale's part of the network.

I used to pay for Premium when on 20CN MaxDSL with Plusnet. It was an additional £5 of which something like £4.50/£4.75 went to BTw.  At that time quite a lot of people took up their premium offer because congestion was more obvious on 20CN ATM backhauls... also it was the only way you could get the higher upstream speeds.

It was fairly popular amongst Plusnet customers, because PN only charged £5 extra, whereas other ISPs were charging circa £10 extra for the same product.  So it was a good deal at a time when the old ATM backhauls used to creak at the seams.

No idea how much the wholesale cost is these days as I never bothered with it after 21CN which has far better backhaul provision.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »

Was it Talisker? (Borderline undrinkable, ... mine's an Ardbeg.)

:-O

(I love Talisker... but I suppose that’s the beauty of whisky - there’s a variety for everyone!)
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:45:22 PM »

I’m glad someone likes Talisker. I’m with 22over7. Can’t stand the stuff. My next-door neighbours never drink it either.

I bought a Highland Park (from Kirkwall) for the AA tech support dept who have had so much grief with my horrible dsl lines, and also a fiery Jura, which went to everyone generally, I think that was the word.

I’m quite keen on the extremely peaty Islay ones too which are not to everyone’s taste.

I have quite a few favourites, Scapa is one - from Orkney too, just down the road from Highland Park, outside Kirkwall, on the shore iirc, on the road to Orphir. Pale, fragrant, sweet and delicate - my wife will drink it, which is really saying something. It’s quite a secret.

But generally I am incredibly ignorant about whisky. I have just accidentally bumped into a few over the years, which no particular plan. I badly need an excuse to try many new varieties.

I do love Irish whisky too.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:51:38 PM »

I hear what vultura says. I would need a lot of money though, because there are so many! Also there is the possibility that it would be a bit coals-to-newcastle round here (or worse actually). I would absolutely have to find out what particular individuals like for it not to be a big flop.