Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Contention?  (Read 1614 times)

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
Contention?
« on: February 18, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »

A relative upgraded their broadband from adsl to vdsl personally I would not have done this based on line checker results as it was always a bit of a gamble:

Adsl 14 – 16 Mbps
VDSL  16 – 30

Ever since the upgrade he said the internet seems slower than usual and his IPTV started buffering and pausing most of the time.

I checked his sync speed and it is a decent 25mbps and he had as high as 20 down on speed test but this was a one off. From some testing yesterday night and today he is only getting 4 mbps down at peak hours, but got 15 this morning. (This is to be confirmed tonight when we see if it goes right down again)

If this is the case is it most likely to be a contention issue, in general what can be done about it? Can he be moved so sharing with a different set of people for example?

Also is it a fairly simple procedure to downgrade back to adsl? (Its is an exchange based connection and not a cabinet)
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Contention?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »

Is your relative with Vodafone, by any chance? I suffer from Vodafone network congestion at peak times, as the TBB BQM shows. It wasn't like this at my previous property, and I understand it to be nothing to do with contention.

If your relative wants to 'share with a different set of people' he probably needs to move house or change ISP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:10:41 PM »

Remembering  bilbokitz' location, I wonder if the relative is also based in the IoM and is using an IoM based CP/ISP?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:16:24 PM »

Yes Isle of Man, ISP Sure.

Westie so you get latency issues?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:18:44 PM by bilbokitz »
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:41:54 PM »

Also is it a fairly simple procedure to downgrade back to adsl? (Its is an exchange based connection and not a cabinet)

I suspect it would be fairly straightforward . . . one pair of jumpers removed, another pair of jumpers inserted.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »

No luck with resolving this yet, I think they have tried moving him on the computer system so he is sharing with a different set of people from what I can gather but that didn't seem to help.

Apart from congestion, what could cause speeds to dramatically drop at peak times? Is it likely that an engineer visit would be able to fix this, I am thinking not as speeds are fine 1st thing in the morning and problem requiring an engineering visit would be permanent rather than peak time related?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »

It is not a problem with the hardware infrastructure, so there is nothing that can be fixed by an engineer visit. The ISP/CP (or the wholesale provider) needs to monitor the relevant software system and make changes based on their findings.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »

Given vodafone's current reputation and the fact its a peak time sympton I cannot see other than contention been the cause.

On the vodafone forum everyone banded together to try and make it a joint complaint and the tech support staff then tried to make them file individual reports to tech support so they could be individually fobbed off, they persisted and management caved in.

It was found that using a VPN prevents issues on netflix and twitch given the ASA regulations then vodafone could be in trouble, but they have finally acknowledged a problem with that traffic but saying its accidental throttling not deliberate.  Its been a number of years now since the first vodafone congestion reports showed up and the fact they havent fixed it yet and are not even acknowledging issues at the CEO level makes them one of the most stubborn isps ever in my opinion.  At least VM with congestion would acknowledge areas had high utilisation.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »

The ISP in question is Sure, not Vodafone.  :)

Edited to add: and uses Manx Telecom as its wholesaler.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:06:59 PM by burakkucat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »

Ahh when he said sure I thought he meant sure as in yes.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »

Westie so you get latency issues?

Yes I do, but since I'm no gamer it's something I can live with until my contract runs out. Only another 15 months or so!  ;)

(Sorry for late reply...been indisposed :( )

anything