Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 no web GUI unlocking problems  (Read 4691 times)

llyamah

• Just arrived
HG612 no web GUI unlocking problems
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »

Hi all

I am (a networking noob) and I am at my wits end with a HG612 (3B) modem that I bought on eBay. In summary, I can't get the web gui up.

I sucessfully unlocked it about a month ago using the instructions on this site. I flashed it with the B030SP08 f/w (webgui version). I could access the web gui fine but then left the modem alone until yesterday when I went to set up my new home network.

I connected the modem's DSL port to my telephone line (I don't know if this is what I was supposed to do). The DSL light was not coming on, so I went to access the web GUI and this is when my problems started - it would not work.

I tried re-flashing the firmware and it simply won't work. I get to the software update page when I plug 192.168.1.1 in to my browser, and get a message that "New software is being programmed to the flash memory..." But, when that is finished, I put 192.168.1.1 and nothing happens (usual 'could not connect' error messages).

I have tried multiple browsers and have searched for hours on this forum for a solution.

I am quite out of my depth with this and would be very grateful for any help.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 no web GUI unlocking problems
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:47:22 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I am (a networking noob) . . .

We all have started at that experience level in our past history . . . so don't be concerned.

It would be quite helpful if you will please explain, in your own words, exactly what equipment you have and how you intend to connect it together.

I sucessfully unlocked it about a month ago using the instructions on this site. I flashed it with the B030SP08 f/w (webgui version). I could access the web gui fine . . .

That's good. Once it has been unlocked, there is nothing else that a novice should do with it. It is really "plug-in and use" device in its default configuration. If you have made changes to the configuration, via the GUI, they can be reverted by pressing the reset button and holding it for, say, 10 to 15 seconds. (That is what I call a "long reset".)

The DSL port should be connected to the telephone line, either via a centralised filter or a plug-in "rat's tail" micro-filter. The LAN1 port is where the other networking equipment would be connected. (That explains why I asked for a description of your equipment, above, as I have no idea of your plans.) It is via the LAN2 port that one may access either the GUI or the CLI, using the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

llyamah

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

We all have started at that experience level in our past history . . . so don't be concerned.

It would be quite helpful if you will please explain, in your own words, exactly what equipment you have and how you intend to connect it together.

Thanks for the welcome! In short, I want to have a Ubiquiti unifi set up comprising this modem, a USG, a POE switch and two Unifi access points.

That's good. Once it has been unlocked, there is nothing else that a novice should do with it. It is really "plug-in and use" device in its default configuration. If you have made changes to the configuration, via the GUI, they can be reverted by pressing the reset button and holding it for, say, 10 to 15 seconds. (That is what I call a "long reset".)

I have tried many variations of the reset but none enable me to get back to the web GUI (but I can get back to the bootloader page). I must have re-flashed the firmware ten times now, but I can't get back to the GUI page. I've disabled antivirus and windows defender.

I didn't (as far as I can recall) make any changes via the GUI a month ago, when I  could access it.

Also, because I didn't make any changes, I also didn't put any username or password in to it (e.g. homehub@btbroadband.com).

The DSL port should be connected to the telephone line, either via a centralised filter or a plug-in "rat's tail" micro-filter. The LAN1 port is where the other networking equipment would be connected. (That explains why I asked for a description of your equipment, above, as I have no idea of your plans.) It is via the LAN2 port that one may access either the GUI or the CLI, using the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address.

I didn't connect a microfilter. I simply disconnected the DSL line from my BT Homehub (SmartHub, I think) and plugged it in to the HG612. The line seems to simply go straight in to my Openreach box without a filter (does it have a filter built in?).

When I did this, the DLS light did not come on. Could this be because I didn't put any username or password settings in to the HG612 a month ago?

Thanks again for your help.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »

It's a while since I've used a HG612 but don't you need to manually set your PC into the same subnet as the HG612 (ie 192.168.1.x) before you can get to the web GUI, as the HG612 won't be acting as a DHCP server?
The fact that the DSL light didn't come on is odd though, as as burakkucat has already said it should be 'plug-in and use' - and that's true whether it's been re-flashed or not.
Also, assuming you do get back in, don't set the PPP (ie username/password) details in the HG612 as it's your router that should really be doing that bit.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »

I have tried many variations of the reset but none enable me to get back to the web GUI (but I can get back to the bootloader page). I must have re-flashed the firmware ten times now, but I can't get back to the GUI page. I've disabled antivirus and windows defender.

Hmm . . . That is puzzling. Re-flashing the firmware image is not going to now help.

I'll repeat what I mentioned earlier . . . the GUI can only be accessed via the LAN2 port of the HG612 in its default configuration. Having looked at your proposed usage case, above, there is no need to change anything from the default.

Also, because I didn't make any changes, I also didn't put any username or password in to it (e.g. homehub@btbroadband.com).

That is correct. The HG612, in its default configuration, is just a pure bridging modem with a tagged (101) VLAN end-point.

I didn't connect a microfilter. I simply disconnected the DSL line from my BT Homehub (SmartHub, I think) and plugged it in to the HG612. The line seems to simply go straight in to my Openreach box without a filter (does it have a filter built in?).

Would you be able to take a photograph of the "Openreach box" and then upload it to one of the free image-hosting sites, so we can see exactly what it is. (I suspect it is an NTE5 fitted with a SSFP . . . as the BT Hub works when connected in that fashion.)

When I did this, the DLS light did not come on. Could this be because I didn't put any username or password settings in to the HG612 a month ago?

As explained above, "no" is the answer.

I wonder, have you tried using a different patch lead to connect the HG612's DSL port to the "Openreach box"?  :-\

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »

Hi

@bcat, could it be that the flashing has not fully completed due to not leaving enough time to complete

You always if memory serves, stipulated leaving flashing for approx 5 minutes before rebooting/finishing.

Also, is there another device using 192.168.1.1, if so, this may explain the no gui but not dsl light coming on/flashing for sync. So I’m thinking either it is not connected to correct line, or there is no dsl active on line (though don’t think this is the reason) or hg612 is stuck and not fully booting due to not been flashed fully

Sorry if I am wrong

Many thanks

John

llyamah

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 10:17:05 PM »

Firstly, thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry for my delayed response... I've been at work.

It's a while since I've used a HG612 but don't you need to manually set your PC into the same subnet as the HG612 (ie 192.168.1.x) before you can get to the web GUI, as the HG612 won't be acting as a DHCP server?
The fact that the DSL light didn't come on is odd though, as as burakkucat has already said it should be 'plug-in and use' - and that's true whether it's been re-flashed or not.
Also, assuming you do get back in, don't set the PPP (ie username/password) details in the HG612 as it's your router that should really be doing that bit.
 :)

I am pretty confident that I have manually set the PC to the same subnet. Here's a pic: https://imgur.com/gallery/2T9IwzP

Hi

@bcat, could it be that the flashing has not fully completed due to not leaving enough time to complete

You always if memory serves, stipulated leaving flashing for approx 5 minutes before rebooting/finishing.

Also, is there another device using 192.168.1.1, if so, this may explain the no gui but not dsl light coming on/flashing for sync. So I’m thinking either it is not connected to correct line, or there is no dsl active on line (though don’t think this is the reason) or hg612 is stuck and not fully booting due to not been flashed fully

In each case I have left it for way longer than 5 minutes.

There may be another device using 192.168.1.1, but I have turned off Wifi, so there shouldn't be any devices on the network using it (not as far as I am aware).

Hmm . . . That is puzzling. Re-flashing the firmware image is not going to now help.

I'll repeat what I mentioned earlier . . . the GUI can only be accessed via the LAN2 port of the HG612 in its default configuration. Having looked at your proposed usage case, above, there is no need to change anything from the default.

I have been trying to access it via the LAN2 port. In fact, I haven't tried using the LAN1 port for anything - including flashing the modem.

Would you be able to take a photograph of the "Openreach box" and then upload it to one of the free image-hosting sites, so we can see exactly what it is. (I suspect it is an NTE5 fitted with a SSFP . . . as the BT Hub works when connected in that fashion.)

https://imgur.com/gallery/juDpUi3

I wonder, have you tried using a different patch lead to connect the HG612's DSL port to the "Openreach box"?  :-\

I haven't. I've been using the same one that is working for my home hub.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »

Thank you for those two images. The first one looks fine for flashing the firmware image. The second one confirms that the "Openreach box" is, indeed, an NTE5/A plus a Mk 2 SSFP.

I am concerned that the xDSL LED does not illuminate when the HG612 is connected to the SSFP. Puzzled.  :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:32 AM »

I'm concerned about the cable going into what I presume is a 4 gang extension lead as the outer insulation looks completely broken exposing the wires meaning they are more likely to suffer damage and become dangerous.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »

I have searched back through the forum and have found one of my earlier posts (dating from November 26, 2016) that spells out the relevant steps to upgrade the firmware image on an HG612 (and flags the problem that may cause an update failure).

llyamah

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »

I'm concerned about the cable going into what I presume is a 4 gang extension lead as the outer insulation looks completely broken exposing the wires meaning they are more likely to suffer damage and become dangerous.

Thanks for this. It's entirely fair. I will change the extension cable ASAP.

llyamah

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »

I have searched back through the forum and have found one of my earlier posts (dating from November 26, 2016) that spells out the relevant steps to upgrade the firmware image on an HG612 (and flags the problem that may cause an update failure).

Thanks for this. I did find that post and followed it to the tee (at least I thought I did). Perhaps I will try again?

Otherwise, is it possible that I simply have a defective unit (especially bearing in mind that the DSL light doesn't come on) and I will have better luck with another one?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »

Thanks for this. I did find that post and followed it to the tee (at least I thought I did). Perhaps I will try again?

If you feel it would be worthwhile to repeat, then yes. When performing the task, the Ethernet link between the HG612 and your computer will drop. When that happens, ignore any "helpful" prompting that the computer's OS makes. Just leave everything alone. I can't stress that point enough. If at any time, during the flashing of the firmware, the "script" is deviated there-from that can be sufficient to abort the process.

Otherwise, is it possible that I simply have a defective unit (especially bearing in mind that the DSL light doesn't come on) and I will have better luck with another one?

That is always the risk when purchasing a used item via eBay. Again, it's your call.  :)

llyamah

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »

... ignore any "helpful" prompting that the computer's OS makes. Just leave everything alone. I can't stress that point enough....

I'm sure I did. I might see if I can do this using a different computer. It could be that which is the issue.

That is always the risk when purchasing a used item via eBay. Again, it's your call.  :)

Does the absence of the DSL light indicate that it is faulty? A bit more info... I've left the modem running for a few hours after the install and the power/lan2 lights do blink. I even query if it's an issue with the PSU.

My father in law happens to have a spare HG612 3B lying around. I'll try that too next time I see him.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 11:09:12 PM »

Does the absence of the DSL light indicate that it is faulty?

A good unit, powered up and connected to the incoming line (on which an xDSL service is active), should display a green DSL LED.

A bit more info... I've left the modem running for a few hours after the install and the power/lan2 lights do blink. I even query if it's an issue with the PSU.

A blinking power LED is highly suspicious. (The very first HG612s had overheating problems and the original supplied PSUs were substandard.)

My father in law happens to have a spare HG612 3B lying around. I'll try that too next time I see him.

That would be good idea.

Pages: [1] 2

anything