Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Homehub 5 replacement  (Read 1639 times)

Creaky

BT Homehub 5 replacement
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:48:09 PM »

I currently use a huawei hg612 that goes into Google Wifi that does the DHCP etc.

I now need to use a Dynamic DNS system such as no-ip.com which Google wifi doesn't support so looking to replace my BT Homehub 5 with something else, I will be removing the Google wifi from the setup and using BT Whole home discs instead.

I already have a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A that has never been used, would this be a suitable replacement for the Home hub.

Also does it support DDNS systems such as noip.com and would it just be plug and play or does the Zyxel need setting up. If it needs setting up are there any guides out there?

Also can the wifi be switched off as the BT Whole home system will take care of that?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT Homehub 5 replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:05:35 AM »

I already have a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A that has never been used, would this be a suitable replacement for the Home hub.

Yes, that will do very nicely.

Also does it support DDNS systems such as noip.com and would it just be plug and play or does the Zyxel need setting up. If it needs setting up are there any guides out there?

Yes, some configuration would be required. Your best guide will be other forum members who use a VMG8924-B10A.

Also can the wifi be switched off as the BT Whole home system will take care of that?

Yes, the WiFi can easily be disabled.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:05:20 AM »

While I can understand wanting to replace the Home Hub with the Zyxel VMG8924-B10Afor a number of reasons, its worth noting the Home Hub 5 also supports dynamic DNS.

Creaky

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »

While I can understand wanting to replace the Home Hub with the Zyxel VMG8924-B10Afor a number of reasons, its worth noting the Home Hub 5 also supports dynamic DNS.

Yes, I did know that but had problems in the past with the Homehub

Thanks both for the help, off to find some more info now before switching.

anything