Computer Software > Linux

Which distros are good for noobs and semi-noobs..? (& a Q about WINE)

(1/5) > >>

snadge:
I ask because both me and my dad are going to make the jump to Linux, he is totally new to it and is going off WebUser advice to install Bodhi... I have used Linux a few times before but still quite new to it.

I will be setting mine up with dual-boot W10x64, Ive been told I can run any windows application under WINE is this correct..? this has been my main reason for never making the switch before, I have loads of applications that dont have a linux counterpart.

thanks in advance.

ejs:
How well wine can run any particular Windows program can vary substantially. Some programs might work fine, others very badly or not at all. If you are expecting every Windows program to work perfectly under wine then you are only going to be disappointed.

I don't really know about different distros because I've just been using the same one for years and I don't bother to try whatever new distro someone says is now the "best" one.

snadge:

--- Quote from: ejs on February 16, 2019, 07:36:23 PM ---How well wine can run any particular Windows program can vary substantially. Some programs might work fine, others very badly or not at all. If you are expecting every Windows program to work perfectly under wine then you are only going to be disappointed.

I don't really know about different distros because I've just been using the same one for years and I don't bother to try whatever new distro someone says is now the "best" one.

--- End quote ---

theres that many distros its hard to choose, still I would rather have it that way.

It will just be a few programs as most of them now DO have a linux counterpart (after checking), gunna get one of the new Samsung EVO PLUS range of SSD's and set it up, these SSD's perform better than the 970 Pro range....allegedly....

boost:
It's hard to argue against Ubuntu for a first timer, I suppose? It's the one I've noticed most consistently configures everything for first login.

broadstairs:
I made the move to linux some years ago and converted my wife to it from windows and she did not really notice any significant difference.

As to distro any of the stable releases would be fine like openSUSE Leap and others, Ubuntu is popular but not my favourite ( personal preference). One thing I would suggest is using the KDE desktop as that is similar to windows in layout and operation, which means Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu which uses the Gnome desktop. Again KDE is my personal preference.

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version