Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3's unlimited sim only deal  (Read 5468 times)

grahamb

• Reg Member
3's unlimited sim only deal
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »

(Not sure if i'm posting this new thread in the right area of the forum but happy for it to be moved if it isn't.  :))

So anyway, I've been reading through this thread: I’ve just signed up to 3’s SIM only unlimited everything on the TBB forum with great interest and, having done some tests with a couple of games consoles on my current 4G package, have taken the plunge and ordered.

Now, if it all works out as planned over the 14 days "test" period, I'll be wanting to end my phone and broadband package with PlusNet, which I've had for about 6 years and so am well out of contract.

If/when I phone up PlusNet to give them the bad news, should I be asking for a cessation of service to both phone line and broadband or should I word it some other way and are they likely to charge me for said cessation of service (not that that's going to cause me any problems)?

Also, if my landline/broadband are ceased, will this cause any problems if I decide to revert back in the future if 3 make a mess of their unlimited service?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: 3's unlimited sim only deal
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »

Nobody will be taking over the service, so you will have to instruct Plusnet to cease both Internet access and telephony. I'm sure you will be charged . . . as Openreach will charge Plusnet and the charge will be passed on.

If, at any time in the future you wish to return to a wired connection, you would have to take out a new service . . . which will just use the existing infrastructure.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:37:54 PM »

Ok, thanks for that B*cat, I'll be looking forward to everything going as planned and saving myself 25 quid per month.  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 06:40:53 PM »

If you have an FTTC service and there's plenty capacity in the fibre cab then when they cease your service they will leave your line jumpered to the fibre cab.

This means if you order FTTC again then it should hopefully be a quick activation as an engineer won't need to visit the cabinet.

Be aware that if your FTTC cabinet is full you will lose your port and won't be able to reorder unless further capacity is added.

I would leave the fixed line broadband active for the first month if possible.

As long as you intend on staying under 1TB/month I don't see any issues.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »

Please do provide updates as to how you find the new access method and service. I'm sure that many members will be interested.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 06:58:09 PM »

@ John

It's an ECI cab, I won't be sorry to lose it. And if say, in a year's time I do need a wired connection then hopefully someone else will have my connection and I'll somehow find myself on a Huawei cab.  ;)

And my average is around 100 gigs per month so I don't foresee a problem with that, given what I've been reading on the TBB thread.

The selling point for me is the "Go Roam Around The World" part of the plan. I'm in no way any sort of globetrotter but I am off to New Zealand for a month later in the year so getting the sim means I don't have to faff about getting a sim over there.  :)

@ B*cat

Will do.  :)

My current mobile service is with PlusNet too and it seems to give me around about the same speeds up and down (~10Mbps). I'm hoping (fingers, toes... and eyes... crossed) that looking at coverage checkers for both services, I'll get that bit more out of 3.  :hmm:

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:31:56 PM »

Plusnet no longer apply the 'Cessation charge' so they'll end up owing you money when you leave  :P

See reply #5 in this thread for staff confirmation.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »

Plusnet no longer apply the 'Cessation charge' so they'll end up owing you money when you leave  :P

Ha! You know what, I read that yesterday and around 24 hours later, I'd forgotten I'd read it.  :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 10:25:25 PM »

I read that as leaving Plusnet and going to another provider, not leaving Plusnet and ceasing the connection/usage of BTWholesale equipment. Also, as that thread is dated 2017, it could have been changed, once again, by now!  ::)

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:52:50 PM »

it was posted in September 2018 and what part of 'the £30 cease fee is actually no longer applicable' do you find difficult to understand?

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »

I think B*cat is right. The OP in that thread just wanted to move his service, I want to terminate mine, both landline and broadband so I reckon I will get charged. Thing is, will I get stung twice?

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 11:13:02 PM »

I searched their forum to find a staffer saying the cessation fee no longer applies.

I won't bother in future.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cancellation-policy/

Looks like they no longer charge the £30 fee, as confirmed on the forums.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »

I've looked at my PlusNet account and finally found out how to access my account summary (they don't make it easy  :wall:). Anyway, that bit in the middle appears to confirm things...
Code: [Select]
Account Summary

Date Order Number Product Cost Order Status Other Links
13/08/2014 BP02156680 Unlimited Fibre £15.99(monthly) Complete
 View order status
 Upgrade
 Data transfer usage
 Update payment details
- - Cessation charge £30.00(upon cancellation) Activated
 What's this?
30/04/2013 HW26716244 Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router £40.00 Delivery
 View order status
 Set up guides
02/09/2014 N/A Evening and Weekends Included £18.99(monthly) Active
 Change product
 Home Phone control panel

@ Browni

Thank you for your help.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »

On the other hand, I found this message on my account from the PlusNet support team from August 2016:

A LLU PSTN cease has been placed on this account. This is due to complete on 26/08/2016 23:59:59.

I seem to remember something about PlusNet putting their own equipment into cabinets or something back then. Is that right and does it mean that because it is their own equipment they don't have to request a cessation of the service from BT and therefore I won't get a cessation charge?  :fingers:
Pages: [1] 2

anything