Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Update on Openreach G.fast, FoD, SoGEA and FTTP Broadband Changes  (Read 1404 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/update-on-openreach-g-fast-fod-sogea-and-fttp-broadband-changes.html

We’ve today gathered together the latest information from our UK industry sources in order to produce a summary of the latest broadband ISP technology and service changes at Openreach (BT). On the list this time are new FTTC cabinets, the G.fast self install trial, SoGEA, FTTP on Demand (FoD) and more.

On the cabinets it seems they can increase huawei cabinets from 288 lines to 512, and an eci cabinet from 256 to 512 lines using a huawei pod.

Is capacity of cabinets a big issue?

On the G.fast story it seems they are going to have a trial of 3 months to see how self installs do. But it will only be in action on lines consistantly over 200Mbps. I wonder if this really is about moving manpower away from G.fast towards FTTP? What is the difference with an engineer being there and a regular plug the modem in and it works thing? I know when I had my FTTC line plugged in by an engineer (kellys) he literally just plugged it in. I could have done that.

The SOGEA service is supposed to be coming in just after easter. I dont really understand this product. Well, I understand the product but from the pricing people are saying that ordering a fttc / g.fast line only is still going to work out a similar price to buy a normal line. So what is the advantage of having no voice part on the line? Is it saying having a voice part makes a detrimental impact on the quality of broadband? If not, then what is the point of the product?

SRA seems like a quality boosting product on fttc lines. They are finally started the trial on 100,000 lines. It began on feb 4th and will run until july. Hopefully its a good result and it also includes eci cabinets.

The last part of the article is about FoD. At the moment its set to 20 oders across all isp's, and there is a hope it'll increase to 100 orders from april. I hope this is true as i've just started the FoD process myself. I'm waiting on the full survey. I don't know why FoD isn't more integrated in their FTTP rollout plans as essentially they are expanding the network in to new areas with minimal cost to themselves as the customer is helping build out the network.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Update on Openreach G.fast, FoD, SoGEA and FTTP Broadband Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »

On the cabinets it seems they can increase huawei cabinets from 288 lines to 512, and an eci cabinet from 256 to 512 lines using a huawei pod.

Not at the moment, but its a lot cheaper and quicker to expand an existing cabinet than install a new one. Also, most cabinets have less have less than 512 users..

On the G.fast story it seems they are going to have a trial of 3 months to see how self installs do. But it will only be in action on lines consistantly over 200Mbps. I wonder if this really is about moving manpower away from G.fast towards FTTP? What is the difference with an engineer being there and a regular plug the modem in and it works thing?

Cost. They can justify a much lower installation fee for self install and thus hopefully encourage take-up. The disadvantage is that if someone has poor wiring that won't now be resolved whereas an engineer visit could have (but even then, its cheaper to have self install and only send an engineer when the self install doesn't live up to expectations)

The SOGEA service is supposed to be coming in just after easter. I dont really understand this product. Well, I understand the product but from the pricing people are saying that ordering a fttc / g.fast line only is still going to work out a similar price to buy a normal line. So what is the advantage of having no voice part on the line? Is it saying having a voice part makes a detrimental impact on the quality of broadband? If not, then what is the point of the product?

Ah - naked DSL. Some people object to 'paying' for a voice circuit/line rental when they don't use a telephone. This will enable them to 'pay' for an internet connection only - though as you say the price will be almost the same. It also makes  it easier to sell the end of the PTSN

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:40:55 AM »

Even if SOGEA is £1 a month cheaper, that's £1 in my pocket.

I'm curious as to what Huawei hardware they are going to be doing this with and how it will be configured.

It doesn't sound right that it will increase capacity to 512 ports when connected to both 256 port and 288 port DSLAMs.

It has 256 ports (4x64?) when connected to an ECI DSLAMs but has 224 ports when connected to large Huawei DSLAMs??
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »

For urban and suburban areas where population density is relatively high and your average cabinet passes anything from 350 to 800+ premises yes, absolutely. Population density, premises count per cabinet and the higher reliance on FTTC as the taxpayer isn't picking up the tab for FTTP all count.

Regardless a cheaper and faster way of expanding capacity than building an entirely new one is desirable.