Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyway to copy android phone contacts to the computer?  (Read 6721 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyway to copy android phone contacts to the computer?
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:53:40 PM »

Is there any way to connect the android phone to the computer and copy the contacts eg name and number etc to the computer in order to print them out?

I've seen a couple of posts on youtube recommending certain apps. But I'm generally suspicious of rarely mentioned apps unless I trust the person giving the advice.

I'm surprised its not a bigger issue these days with many people changing phones and my dads new phone only takes a nano sim so he's having to change sim cards when he starts using his new phone. But the problem is transfering the contact details acrosss.

Anyone any ideas?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Anyway to copy android phone contacts to the computer?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:21:05 AM »

Which phone/OS and where on the phone are the contacts saved?

Sometimes the back-up software from the phone manufacturer will allow the data to be 'backed up' to the PC and/or any contacts app will have an export function.

If the contact details are synced with a Google account , then they will have been backed up by default to the cloud and be automatically restored to the new phone (if using the same Google account) - this is the case with most contacts on phones these days, hence it tends not to be an issue.. (and/or you are able to export the contacts to Google if they are on the SIM card)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:30:48 AM »

As above, many people do not realise the benefits of using a Google account, so do not set one up and course some are just paranoid so don't  ;)

If the phone was setup using a Google account then I'm sure that is the default save location for contacts, simply settings up the new phone using the same account will be enough to pull the contacts back in. If you go to https://contacts.google.com and sign you should see your contacts. If he doesn't have a Google account then set one up and export the contacts to it, how easy that is depends on how old the phone is. Once you have the contacts in the cloud  you can go to the Google contacts site and tidy them up, add address details, birthdays etc. With newer Android versions it is actually very easy to transfer a lot of stuff across to a new phone, you are given various options when setting the phone up.

For SMS and call logs I use SMS Backup & restore by SyncTech Pty Ltd.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:18:50 AM »

What Ronski said, sync to Google.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »

Go to https://contacts.google.com/ in the left hand column under more there are print and export options.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »

So far exporting or sync'ing the contacts to google isnt working.

I tell the phone to sync, it says it does but no contacts appear on the google contacts page.

Then I noticed that it seems to be more about getting the contacts to appear in gmail. I managed to get them to appear in the gmail phone app, but they don't appear on the gmail site.

So no luck so far. I'm on the verge of trying the app Ronski recommended to see if that can help in any way.

It's an old Vodafone Smart 4 Mini.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:29 PM »

The app I recommended is for text messages and call logs, no good for contacts, just mentioned it in case you wanted to keep them.

Make sure the computer is logged into the correct Google account, also make sure the phone actually has the contacts saved to the Google account and you've told it to sync to cloud which won't be instant. If the contacts are saved to the sim or phone memory you'll need to move them to the Google account on the phone before they appear in the cloud.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »

For some reason when I created a new contact and went to google contacts all the contacts are now listed! Phew... now the sms stuff  :)

Going to have a look at that app :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »

That's good, I said it takes a little time  ;)

When you use SMS Backup & restore select the option to back up to Google Drive - it makes it easier when restoring.

Also pay attention to any other apps, photos etc that you may need to transfer across.

Any questions just ask.

ETA. With the apps they may install automatically, if not simply go to Playstore on your PC whilst logged in to the correct Google account and you can see what apps have been installed previously under that account and install them to the new phone from there.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »

I'll probably end up asking some questions.. with technology things rarely go as planned.. at least for me  :)

I think we're going to sort it tomorrow. I'm waiting on a new nano sim card as the sim card in his old phone can't be cut down small enough. I've seen a few diy videos on sim card cutting but I'm not risking it. Scissors, me, and fiddly plastic things arent a good combo lol

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:29:30 PM »

That's a wise idea waiting, I managed to miscut my daughters SIM at Christmas and that was using a SIM card cutter, although it had already been cut to a micro SIM, then cut again to a nano SIM.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 10:47:59 AM »

I managed to get all the messages transferred to the new phone.

My next step is to contact vodafone, as apparently they don't give an automatic way to keep your old payg number to a new payg phone. Only if you're coming from another networks payg or you're changing from a pay monthly to payg. It seems a bit odd. So apparently I'll have to call them to change the sim on the payg network account to the new sim then they can transfer the number.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »

anything