Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I've found wireless adapter does not support 5GHz  (Read 4567 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I've found wireless adapter does not support 5GHz
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »

The item is a Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n Wireless Adapter fitted to my Dell Inspiron 3650 Desktop.
ATM 5G is not an absolute requirement, as my close locality is not very crowded net wise.

However, it's probable I shall need to move to a more crowded location nearer the town centre, where the upside of 5G could be more apparent.

All Dell seem to have "helpfully" expressed to  similar comments is to use a USB adapter. Does any one, if there are adapters supporting 5G, compatible with my computer?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: I've found wireless adapter does not support 5GHz
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:59:21 PM »

It's pretty easy to change the internal wireless card inside your desktop so it works with 5Ghz without having to connect any usb dongles.

You would need a half mini pci-e wireless card.

Going down the USB route there are no special requirements for your computer.

Any USB dongle that does 2.4/5Ghz and supports the Windows version you use will work.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »

I saw  the existing adapter described as 1x1. Does that place any limitation on my choice of replacement. A lot of adapters on sale today are 2x2. To the  special needs net illiterate like me, it's confusing. :-[

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:54 AM »

2x2 is better :) still works :)
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »

I understand the 1x1, 2x2 refers to the numbers of Rx and Tx antennae. I'm guessing that would mean the compacter has been configured physically 1 Rx and 1 Tx. How would and can one add additional antennae, and without that option would performance be degraded, to what extent?
Thanks j0hn, I must be thick.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »

You’re absolutely right about the 2.4GHz vs 5GHz decision criteria. While you are in a very clean environment ,the range and penetration of 2.4GHz might be a plus depending on your circumstances. You can possibly use either the pair of 1+6 or 6+11 = 2 x 20MHz = a 40MHz width channel to get double speed. That means bring a bit of a bandwidth hog in 2.4GHz and there would then only be one 20MHz-wide channel left free after you have grabbed the rest. Fine in the right circumstances, but anti-social and, as you say, might very well not be sustainable if you end up with more neighbours.

Being in 5GHz-land means you can immediately use at least 2x20MHz=a 40 MHz channel and with more recent kit 80 and even 160MHz are possible in the right circumstances (I would think at least twice about it). That is the other big advantage of 5GHz, apart from availability of many channels and freedom from competition and interference, in my view: that you are immediately certain to be able to use double speed with no problem.

So you’re doing the right thing.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »

Renluop are you referring to the Aerials inside the laptop? normally with 2.4Ghz adapters there will only be 2, some 2.4/5Ghz can have 3.
I replaced my wireless card on my Dell with a dual band one and it only uses 2 Aerials.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:35:44 AM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »

Subject is of remote interest to me now. Anyhow I have a desktop; wife only an IPad, and laptops only enter our house when family come.

anything