Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy A80 bargain ??  (Read 12922 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Samsung Galaxy A80 bargain ??
« on: October 18, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »

This looks like the bargain of a lifetime - an upper mid range Galaxy phone for £4.31. It comes from China, but it's so cheap that it's got to be worth a punt. I've ordered one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X3BNK81/ref=asc_df_B07X3BNK811571356800000/?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-1061501336368848681-21

I'll let you know what it's like if/when I get it.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Samsung Galaxy A80 bargain ??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »

Hmm . . . Methinks that there is a discrepancy between the "headline", the "title", of the item offered for purchase and the actual item provided.  ;)  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »

I think the silver edged case will be very nice, but the phone will be somewhat transparent. ;D
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »

I assume your post is a wind-up and you do realise it is a case not a phone?
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »

You're all quite right :-[

So I've wasted £9.30 on a case I can't use. Ho hum....

(in my defence, I found it here: it's number 8 in the list : https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-samsung-phones )
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »

Hi roseway

Thankfully you bought from amazon so should be easy to return

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »

I don't know whether it will be worth the hassle. It's sold and supplied by the Chinese company, not by Amazon. I think I'll just write it off and get on with my life. :)

(On further thought):  Actually the order hasn't been processed yet, so I've asked for it to be cancelled as I made a mistake.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:06:17 PM by roseway »
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:33:56 PM »

The other day I ordered yet another Sata HDD from Amazon.   It was only after ordering and, a few minutes later getting a delivery estimate, that the penny dropped...  it was actually sold by a Marketplace trader.   :o

HDD discounters  have a terrible reputation for supplying old stock, or refurbished returns, as if they were new. I’d never have knowingly ordered an HDD from a marketplace trader. :(

I quickly logged back in, clicked ‘cancel this order’ which was immediately accepted. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 06:39:57 AM »

I've heard back from the seller that they have agreed to cancel the mistaken order and refund me. So good marks to them, and I'm a little wiser (and unfortunately a little older too).
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 03:10:47 AM »

says case in description :(, but yeah the title i think designed to claw people in

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:16:06 AM »

The other day I ordered yet another Sata HDD from Amazon.   It was only after ordering and, a few minutes later getting a delivery estimate, that the penny dropped...  it was actually sold by a Marketplace trader.   :o

HDD discounters  have a terrible reputation for supplying old stock, or refurbished returns, as if they were new. I’d never have knowingly ordered an HDD from a marketplace trader. :(

I quickly logged back in, clicked ‘cancel this order’ which was immediately accepted. :)
i brought fake hdds from amazon before, since that day i only buy from amazon themselves but one has to be on toes as amazon has a habit off using 3rd party seller as default holding page for product, saying sold by "manufacturer" instead of seller name.

that fake seller got a visit from me however as they based in my city, thought i remind them the internet is not a complete shield

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »

That’s interesting Chrysalis.

My suspicion of fake HDDs was hitherto based mainly on very convincing and consistent reviews.   But reviews can also be fake, so it’s good  to hear a first hand account that justifies my caution. :)

I’m not really sure what has changed but I do think Amazon are less clear than they used to be, when it comes to distinguishing between their own sales and other traders.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

Yeah I am pretty sure they didnt used to years ago put manufacturer's name in place of seller on product page.  Kind of shady.

Sold by samsung instead of sold by del trotter.

The first warning sign was weird behaviour and apps reported hdd's had no NCQ support yet it was in the hdd spec sheets.
Someone then suggested I check the serial on the warranty page, which reported it was invalid, I knew then was fake.

Also I believe I lost data, seemed similar to how people lose data on fake sdcards.  As I copied data to the drives, then realised the situation had to copy back and I lost some of it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:42:03 PM by Chrysalis »

anything