Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPad 6: Wifi setting getting turned off, all by itself, mysteriously  (Read 4597 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

My wife tells me - hard to believe - that the wifi slider control in settings is getting set to ‘off’ by some mysterious malign force and she loses the wireless LAN. The machine then uses 4G. She slides it back to the right and all is well again. It has happened twice today.

It hardly seems possible, but I went through it carefully with her the moment it last happened.

A bug ? A rogue app? Is the latter even possible?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: iPad 6: Wifi setting getting turned off, all by itself, mysteriously
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »

Dont know how apple configure it to behave, so based on that its pure speculation, either of your theories are plausible, rogue app or perhaps the OS is detecting an anomaly so then is falling back to 4G as maybe it thinks wifi is down for some reason.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »

Does your wife 'swip' up the screen to say put the torch on ?.

When I have done that and then 'swip' down again to clear that menu screen I have accidentally turned off the 'WiFi' or put it in 'Airplane Mode' as those icons are on the top row near your finger .  :-\
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:50:54 AM »

I think WiFi appears turned-off when it’s sharing its cellular connection as a hotspot.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »

@tickmike - no not on these recent occasions (ipad btw)

The thing I find really remarkable was that the state of the UI changed. The state of the slider was visibly altered. It didn’t just drop Wi-Fi at a lower level.

She has about six million apps on it. So many that it does make me wonder if one of them is evil and I don’t know how good Apple’s QA testing of apps is before they are allowed into the App Store.