Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: will BT openreach remove Huawei DSLAMs..?  (Read 2495 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
will BT openreach remove Huawei DSLAMs..?
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »

After reading about Openreach BT mobile* removing Huawei hardware from key network / 4G infrastructure, I have to wonder if they Openreach* will be replacing their DSLAMs, whats the opinion of my fellow kitizens..?

*EDITED FOR MISTAKES
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:43:20 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: will BT openreach remove Huawei DSLAMs..?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »

I would say not very likely. It would be very costly, so they would have to assess the risks they are exposed to by using the Huawei DSLAMS.

I suppose if GCHQ were attached to a Huawei DSLAM the risk might be of data leakage of a sensitive kind.

Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:31:11 PM »

After reading about Openreach removing Huawei hardware from key network / 4G infrastructure I have to wonder if they will be replacing their DSLAMs, whats the opinion of my fellow kitizens..?

I've read nothing that says that.

I've read that BT/EE are removing some Huawei hardware from the core 4g/5g network but that Huawei continues to be an important partner.

I haven't read anything, anywhere, saying OpenReach are removing anything Huawei related.
Last I checked they were still awarding Huawei contracts for FTTP/G.Fast and they install exclusively Huawei DSLAM's for FTTC.

It won't happen.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »

No.

I can't recall the exact wording off the top of my head, but the official statement said they were removing Huawei equipment from their core network.

They already started work on this on years ago on their fixed line core and bought a few thousand Alcatel-Lucent 7750s.  (Around the time when there was the first scare of security implications with Huawei).

The FTTC DSLAMs are considered 'dumb' periphery devices.    Same as with the masts when it comes to their mobile (EE) network.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »

I suppose if GCHQ were attached to a Huawei DSLAM the risk might be of data leakage of a sensitive kind.

Exactly.  Anything 'important' is hardly likely to be transmitted over FTTC/ADSL anyway.   
There's a large network of dedicated lines for certain organisations and institutions (eg JaNET) and it's a sure fire bet that anyone important will be using leased lines.

Finally found the article I was thinking of which quoted the DSLAMs as being 'dumb' and in there it does also state that since 2006 BT introduced a policy to restrict what Huawei equipment it used in certain parts of their network.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46453425
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »

I've read nothing that says that.

I've read that BT/EE are removing some Huawei hardware from the core 4g/5g network but that Huawei continues to be an important partner.

I haven't read anything, anywhere, saying OpenReach are removing anything Huawei related.
Last I checked they were still awarding Huawei contracts for FTTP/G.Fast and they install exclusively Huawei DSLAM's for FTTC.

It won't happen.

Sorry, I meant BT in general and assumed Openreach where responsible for all the telecommunications hardware that they installed, regardless if it's for mobile transceiver stations or DSLAMs

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »

I would say not very likely. It would be very costly, so they would have to assess the risks they are exposed to by using the Huawei DSLAMS.

I'd suggest the odds of GCHQ sending data via an FTTC DSLAM, whether via Internet or MPLS, either way it's going across a third party network, unencrypted are pretty slim.  :)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:45:35 PM »

I'd suggest the odds of GCHQ sending data via an FTTC DSLAM, whether via Internet or MPLS, either way it's going across a third party network, unencrypted are pretty slim.  :)

...but what are the odds they are polling data that happens to cross FTTC at some point? :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »

They are routinely taking data from ISP networks regardless of the access medium it arrives on - copper, fibre, carrier pigeon.  :)

anything