Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VNC Remote Connection Issue  (Read 6269 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: VNC Remote Connection Issue
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 01:48:46 PM »

@d2d4j:

Hi John, thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Apologies, most of your dialogue is over my head, I can however answer regarding local RPi/DSLStats access.
I can reliably and virtually instantly access the RPi/DSLStats using VNC Viewer configured to either Wi-Fi or LAN IP addresses (using a USB to ethernet adaptor on the RPi for LAN) from either the local LAN connected desktop PC or a laptop which is connected either direct LAN or Wi-Fi to the modem/router.

Remote cloud connection to the RPi/DSLStats will always work eventually, just very hit & miss which as already stated was not the case previously.

So yes, I have no reason to doubt that "internal" pings to the RPi will work as the IP address connected requests from VNC Viewer work perfectly.

I have no real idea on the protocol or workings of VNC cloud connections, as "johnson" has commented previously it's just magic, to me anyway !
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »

What device are you attempting to use Real VNC Viewer (or whatever they call it now) from?
Is it a desktop PC?

If you have an Android phone (might work from iPhone) you could try using the Real VNC app to connect.
If/when it fails to connect you could switch off WiFi and use mobile data to try the connection again.

Though as you can successfully connect to other VNC devices hosted on other connections it sounds like it could be a routing issue on the Pi's connection.

You would need to obtain the IP that the Pi connects to over Real VNC and run a tracert when it works and when it doesn't, then compare the 2.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »

What device are you attempting to use Real VNC Viewer (or whatever they call it now) from?
Is it a desktop PC?
Either my desktop PC running Win 8.1 or laptop running Win 10 both using wired LAN connections.

As stated in last post, can connect when at the remote location using desktop PC running Win 7 or laptop running Win 10 using VNC "local" configuration (stipulating IP address) or strangely enough also using cloud configuration, ie., should be the same as connecting remotely from anywhere.

Considering the above, logic would appear to indicate that the issue is at my home connection point except that I can still connect perfectly to my other remote RPi which uses an identical setup !

Used the system extensively all last summer to the 3 devices (my own line included) while touring, worked faultlessly from all locations and proved to be very effective after the demise of MDWS last March.

Something I have not yet tried and as further process of elimination, I'll try a VNC cloud connection to the RPi with the issue from the other remote location.

You would need to obtain the IP that the Pi connects to over Real VNC and run a tracert when it works and when it doesn't, then compare the 2.
Absolutely no idea how I would get this.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »

Well, have now tried cloud connection to the remote, troublesome RPi location from the other remote RPi location rather than my home location, results still the same, hit & miss connection via VNC viewer.

Will just have to accept the situation, always get a connection eventually and the "2 daily" snapshots upload to web server is still working normally.

Again, thanks to all who expressed interest and offered suggestions.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 11:24:23 PM »

If you are using RealVNC as your client it has one gotcha. In the advanced settings the Quality defaults to Automatic. That can give an unusable connection if it resolves as low. I set my Quality explicitly to High or Medium.

Can you ssh to the remote box? If you are on Windows then that would be using ssh under Cygwin, MSYS2 or WSL; or PuTTY.

If so you can then run your VNC session over an SSH tunnel. That has two advantages. One is security. The other is that a plain text connection is easier to diagnose.

An example command to start a tunnel is

ssh -fNL 8901:localhost:5901 remote.example.com

That is to connect to display :1 on remote.example.com. The 8901 is an arbitrary port number, you connect your VNC viewer to ::8901

If you are using PuTTY instead of ssh then add the tunnel in there.

Connection/SSH/Tunnels: L8901 localhost:5901

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »

@ petef:
Many thanks for your interest and suggestions.

If you are using RealVNC as your client it has one gotcha. In the advanced settings the Quality defaults to Automatic. That can give an unusable connection if it resolves as low. I set my Quality explicitly to High or Medium.
Yes, I had realised that as soon as I started using RealVNC Client, on my old RPi 1B and the RPi ZW's especially, the desktop display was inclined to show "negative" if I left the "Picture Quality" at default "Auto" setting always set to "Medium" on all my connections.
However, was not aware that this could effect the connection quality or ability.

To be honest, your further questions & suggestions are way above my knowledge level and diagnostic ability on the subject, would not know where to start !

Pages: 1 [2]