Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: High latency while small downloads/streaming on another device  (Read 9024 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: High latency while small downloads/streaming on another device
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »

The problem only exists when streaming/downloading. I know you probably think its normal to have an elevated ping during downloading, but here is my ping to www.bbc.co.uk while the wife's watching Netflix (not in 4k, which is effectively 1-2MB/s).

See its not just 1-2MB/s. Its bursts up to the max you pull data from your ISPs CDN every now and then, its not a constant low rate the same as the streams bitrate.

At this stage, I don't want to have to work around a problem that BT are having, to get back to where it was, so I've removed it to conduct more testing.

I guess thats fair, but if QoS lets you play a game in the evening its worth trying to get right in the meantime.

Reaps

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:04 AM »

See its not just 1-2MB/s. Its bursts up to the max you pull data from your ISPs CDN every now and then, its not a constant low rate the same as the streams bitrate.

That's true, I hadn't though of it like that. I'll put QoS back on, and limit downloads to half of my line speed and will test throughout the day. Thanks.

This is my connection when using Netflix, both lots of spikes....

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/47355cabe92c044c03a385fd6ccd034298dacca2-08-02-2019.png

That link for me, seems to be broken. You need to click 'share' to produce the shareable link IIRC.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »

Sorry try this :-[

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

MrMike

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »

Regarding Ubiquiti's implementation of their QoS service, I've been trying to find an online post I read a while ago by a Ubiquiti employee explaining an overview of how it works. But it explained that the router analyses the packets and gives priority to smaller data packets which are commonly associated with VoIP, online gaming and other time sensitive data packets. Of course it's far more complex than that, but that's the gist of it.

Reaps - I am not sure if you've answered this already, but when gaming, is your PC / consoles connected directly to the router or other intermediary network switch equipment with a wired ethernet connection? Not using wifi or powerline ethernet adaptors to connect your gaming systems up to the router? If you are using wifi or powerline ethernet adaptors then try a fully wired ethernet connection for your PC / consoles and see if it helps.

Reaps

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »

Regarding Ubiquiti's implementation of their QoS service, I've been trying to find an online post I read a while ago by a Ubiquiti employee explaining an overview of how it works. But it explained that the router analyses the packets and gives priority to smaller data packets which are commonly associated with VoIP, online gaming and other time sensitive data packets. Of course it's far more complex than that, but that's the gist of it.

Reaps - I am not sure if you've answered this already, but when gaming, is your PC / consoles connected directly to the router or other intermediary network switch equipment with a wired ethernet connection? Not using wifi or powerline ethernet adaptors to connect your gaming systems up to the router? If you are using wifi or powerline ethernet adaptors then try a fully wired ethernet connection for your PC / consoles and see if it helps.

I've just looked up a couple of youtube videos on the Edgemax QoS, it's exactly as you explain. I'll have it enabled for some further testing later this evening, thank you!
I'm also connected through ethernet. Wifi is only used for mobiles/etc.
I'm connected like so, PC > Gig Switch > EdgeMax Router, same occurs when I connect direct into the BT HomeHub via Ethernet too.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »

Mad thought, and I'm sure fellow forum members will tell me why its a stupid thing to bring up, but could you have changed the 802.1p VLAN tagging at any point? I'm not sure if BT/ISPs even pay attention to it, but it is supposed to assign classes to traffic, "background" "best effort" "excellent effort" etc. Have always used 2 - "excellent effort" on my connection.

Reaps

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »

Mad thought, and I'm sure fellow forum members will tell me why its a stupid thing to bring up, but could you have changed the 802.1p VLAN tagging at any point? I'm not sure if BT/ISPs even pay attention to it, but it is supposed to assign classes to traffic, "background" "best effort" "excellent effort" etc. Have always used 2 - "excellent effort" on my connection.

All out of the box thoughts are welcome at this stage!
I don't have any VLANs configured and have never used any at home. The Router firmware hasn't changed either, as it's set manual updates.

The modem has the below configuration, looks like mine is set to 2 as well:

Layer2 interface:       
WAN connection:       Enable
Service list:       
Port binding:       LAN1   LAN2
Connection mode:       
Bridge type:       
DHCP transparent transmission:       Enable
WAN 802.1q:       Enable
VLAN ID:       101 [2-4094]
WAN 802.1p:       Enable
2 [0-7]
LAN 802.1q:       Enable
LAN 802.1p:       Enable

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »

Code: [Select]
WAN 802.1p:       Enable 2 [0-7]
You could try changing that to 1 [Best Effort] 

I'm not sure if BT/ISPs even pay attention to it,

According to SIN 498 it's up to the CP whether they use VLAN tagging.

Unmarked (no VLAN) = Low Priority
0 or 1 = Low Priority
2 or 3 = High Priority

Both BT and TT do use VLAN tagging for IPTV services...  and presumably also Plusnet as I had to change my 802.1p setting from 2 to 1 to be able to get Chromecast to work correctly.

This thread VLAN ID Priority (0-7) for 802.1p gives a bit more information.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MrMike

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »

How are you getting on with the high latency issues?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 01:58:24 PM »

Both BT and TT do use VLAN tagging for IPTV services...  and presumably also Plusnet as I had to change my 802.1p setting from 2 to 1 to be able to get Chromecast to work correctly.

I've always had 802.1p set to 2 and my Chromecast Gen 1 worked with Talktalk.
My Chromecast Gen2 and Nvidia Shield TV (with built in Chromecast) worked with BT with this setting, and it still works since I switched to Plusnet in October.

This is with both a VMG8924-B10A and a VMG1312-B10A

The VMG1312-B10A is currently connected to Plusnet with 802.1p set to 2. Chromecast is used daily.

I set this to 2 using your guide here as I was with Talktalk at the time.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 02:22:45 PM »

Weird! Mine are as below, and everything (including BT multicast TV) seems to work fine:

802.1p : 0
802.1q : 101

EDIT: BT SIN498v7p5.pdf specifies the above too.
More info: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20093.0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:34:50 PM by underzone »

Reaps

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »

How are you getting on with the high latency issues?

I'm giving it a few days before conducting more tests, to see if this gets better over time.
I've had a few improvements - where my latency isn't quite as high as it was originally.

Still, I'm getting 70-80 pings while watching some www.twitch.tv channels, but I am going through an unusual time, where the wife hasn't got anything to watch on Netflix! :)
If it's ok to keep this post open for a couple of days before I post back with more details?

Here's a current graph of my latency last night:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/030ab9c45faee1e59f96649a9fc7752f0d5d0574-13-02-2019

The spikes are me watching a 4 hour twitch tournament until the early hours (sadly), this never used to spike previously. This is with the Edgemax Smart QoS enabled, which is set at 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »

What does your TBBx1 look like?

Reaps

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »

My tbbx1 is still up and down by the looks of things.

Also, in other news!

While looking into this - one of my colleague pointed me out to this:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8274-caerphilly-added-to-list-of-fast-exchanges

Checked with bt.com - no gfast available on my account.
Checked with openreach - they say its ready.
Checked with another provider (zen) - they say they can provide me up to 130~Mbps

Called up BT, they said they can't provide it - as their systems have not yet updated and they basically see what I see on my account in bt.com
They say to wait a few weeks and keep checking the website, once its available there - it will be available to me.

Hopefully, this will mean they will have to move me on the infrastructure to somewhere new, especially as they will need an engineer visit to do it - which should mean they can physically test my line while they are there, to get max speed, low latency.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4