Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Copper Line test error  (Read 2928 times)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
The Copper Line test error
« on: February 07, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »

So i have been having issues again however the ISP just gave me an update on the last patch of tests they performed on the line and had an error message as follows:

"Problem Explanation: [FD03] The Copper Line test is inconclusive (DT).
Resolution/Recommendation: BTW cannot progress this fault as the root cause is the PSTN failure. Please ensure that line being tested is not currently in use and rerun KBD. If issue persists, report to your Copper Line Service Provider."

Now the current issue is when someone calls the landline the SNR on the upstream drops weather it be set at 6db 9db or even 12db, yet calling out doesn't do the same.

NTE5C plates have been replaced recently as well, still does it this even with the CPE (ISP TG589VAC2) connected.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:41:26 PM by hacktrix2006 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: The Copper Line test error
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »

Having taken a copy of the message and reformatted for ease of reading, I see --

Problem Explanation: [FD03] The Copper Line test is inconclusive (DT).
Resolution/Recommendation: BTW cannot progress this fault as the root cause is the PSTN failure.
Please ensure that line being tested is not currently in use and rerun KBD.
If issue persists, report to your Copper Line Service Provider.

I suspect that there is a low insulation fault between the A- & B-wires of the pair, possibly a rectified loop. If that condition persists, your ISP/CP should request an Openreach appointment to resolve a PSTN fault.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply if i can edit the OP i will remove the code headers (I go into auto mode when posting on forums),

You mention low insulation fault, can this also be intermittent as this error has only showed once and the ISP has done loads of KBD's (As the fault was already raised with them for a while now).

I had a OR visit not long ago engineer ended up moving the master socket to make things easier, however nothing showed on the tests, OR visit was related to the Drop in SNR on incoming calls which happened when ISP's CPE was installed and even in the test socket.

Its a strange issue but i didn't understand what the error ment so thanks for that.

Also i even have a new Retain code i don't know about, Last Retrain Reason: 100000 normally its either 1 or 8000 never had a 100000.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »

Yes, I would not be surprised for it to be an intermittent fault. One that might be affected by the weather, for example.

As ejs has explained, elsewhere, the "Last Retrain Reason: 100000" is likely to remain a mystery.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 06:53:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply again.

Will keep you updated.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »

Also i even have a new Retain code i don't know about, Last Retrain Reason: 100000 normally its either 1 or 8000 never had a 100000.

Long shot but does your line have Vectoring?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »

As far as I know no, as I am on ADSL2+ using ADSL2 modulation.

http://solidus1983.mynetgear.com:65508/index.html

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:41:14 PM by hacktrix2006 »

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:48:31 PM »

So OR couldn't find a fault, however i the fault is still there.

Still getting Disconnects, since my last message i have been getting a load of resync and full line disconnects.

Just have a look on my Raspi Webstats linked above.

Upstream is just busted on noise, was like this 1 hour after engineer left and still continuing like it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »

Just looking at that latest plot makes me suspect that there is a corroded joint somewhere in the metallic pathway. A joint that is showing high resistance and/or semi-conductive tendencies. The problem is finding it.  :(

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »

Yep, I have stopped graphing the line and swapped back to ISP CPE (can't afford my modem getting cooked which when my line goes like this the ADSL ports on modems stink of burning).

Even interleave is set to 256 on down stream with INP 2 on still doesn't fix the constant disconnects. So using my mobile now for internet till it gets fixed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »

. . . swapped back to ISP CPE (can't afford my modem getting cooked which when my line goes like this the ADSL ports on modems stink of burning).

Reading that, something is definitely not right.  :o  Has the circuit been checked for alien intermittent high voltages?

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »

As far as I am aware the engineer that came yesterday did all the tests and found nothing wrong with the line.

I did mention about modem getting burnt but like so many OR engineers that have visited their either say it's impossible or simply ignore and show no interest.

I have a lovely grave yard of but t out ADSL socket modems.

Thanks for you reply though

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »

I did mention about modem getting burnt but like so many OR engineers that have visited their either say it's impossible or simply ignore and show no interest.

I have a lovely grave yard of burnt out ADSL socket modems.

The only suggestion I can make is for you to ensure that your ISP/CP is aware and to ask them what can be done about that obvious -- and potentially dangerous -- intermittent fault. My suspicion is that mains voltage is reaching the telephony pair. (It should be escalated within the Openreach environment and be passed to an appropriately trained SFI2 technician.)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »

The only suggestion I can make is for you to ensure that your ISP/CP is aware and to ask them what can be done about that obvious -- and potentially dangerous -- intermittent fault. My suspicion is that mains voltage is reaching the telephony pair. (It should be escalated within the Openreach environment and be passed to an appropriately trained SFI2 technician.)
ISP already is aware about this issue also ISP ordered for the engineer to do End to 2 End test more then 1 module I assume with that only to have engineer come and do a few tests then leave because they couldn't find a fault. Although I have my suspensions things was altered before engineer visit but will stop there as Line disconnects turning to being stable, a profile change from fastpath to interleave 64 depth before arrival is not proof of that.

However ISP is after line replacement as they also are on the same agreement that it's the aluminium line,  now with the broken ducts (which I reported to  Openreach directly only to be told to contact ISP which I did and they forwarded  it to OR and got no where ) so just based on that I know that isn't going to happen.

Once again thanks for replying.

P.s I think the last engineer was a SFI2 had some fancier kit with a lot of new gear.

anything