Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Affect of MTU  (Read 1431 times)

bp1000

• Just arrived
Affect of MTU
« on: January 30, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »

Curious about this one.

I was on BT Infinity with a BT HH5.

Switched to PN and also switched to my own modem - its a TP-Link W9970 and i noticed there was an option for MTU when i setting everything up. The manufacturer default was 1480, not a value i heard is widely used for PPPoE connections. Anyway, i decided to change this to 1492.

Since doing so, i've experienced some occasional disruption in stability and loading. E.g. pages would hang.

I since did some more googling and arrived at 1458 as the optimal for PPPoE.

So i would like to ask, am i just imagining it or could it be the MTU, my connection seems more more stable and i've had not pauses or dropouts since. If so, have i chosen the correct value?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Affect of MTU
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »

1492 would be ideal on PPPoE.
Any issues will be entirely coincidental.

I have a 1500 MTU and never have any issues to any sites anywhere, ever. Certainly not MTU related issues.

The default on most modem/routers I've used using PPPoE is already set at 1492.

http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Affect of MTU
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »

Still rocking an HG612 here which seems to handle mini-Jumbo frames so 1500 MTU for PPPoE.

Its always puzzled me as from telnet the HG612 claims the MTU on the interface is 1500 so this honestly shouldn't be working.  But I have checked several times and no fragmentation is occurring.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything