Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ISPs of choice? - is John Lewis reliable?  (Read 6434 times)

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
Re: ISPs of choice? - is John Lewis reliable?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »

The image on that page is definitely the VMG8924-B10D...

After looking again, I suspect you're right. I think I can spy a VoIP LED on the right.

The image you attached to your post is a VMG3925-B10B. I was thinking of a VMG3925-B10C (pic attached). You can probably see where the confusion came from ;)
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »

I take it you're connected to a Huawei CAB? Probably be less of a difference on an ECI DSLAM. I think it's largely accepted the Broadcom DSL chipset in the ZyXEL is the better of the two. Certainly something we'll consider for any successor to the Hub One.
Yep, and the ZyXEL does better than the Billion 8800NL v1. On my crosstalk aluminium hobbled connection connection the  increase is noticeable.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »

Probably be less of a difference on an ECI DSLAM. I think it's largely accepted the Broadcom DSL chipset in the ZyXEL is the better of the two. Certainly something we'll consider for any successor to the Hub One.

Hi Bob.  Just FYI and something to bear in mind for those future successors ;)

The VMG8x24-B10A with their BCM63168 chipsets still way out performs the Lantiq VRX-268 based modems on my line which is attatched to an ECI cab.
Even the BCM 63381 based modems* perform better than the VRX-268 based.   

*TP-Link TD-W9970 & Zyxel VMG1312-B10D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »

Yep, and the ZyXEL does better than the Billion 8800NL v1. On my crosstalk aluminium hobbled connection connection the  increase is noticeable.

I suspect that is largely down to the internal noise filter as well as the chipset.   
Its why I say the VMG8x24-B10As & VMG1312-B10A vastly outperform and are more stable on the majority of lines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 06:56:16 AM »

I think it’s unforgivable discriminating against users who have slower lines. As if they do not need the same LAN and especially WLAN performance. Cynical penny-pinching.

As if customers who are already being screwed by BTOR need more grief, when they aren’t responsible for their lack of choice.

And do ADSL2 users not need 5GHz? They have neighbours too. Everyone should have this.

They can of course upgrade by buying a good add-on WAP, or better just binning the wireless modem router and getting- guess what, a top-of-the-range range ZyXEL.

Would stay well away from JL on principle if FTTC.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »

Not that much profit in their adsl2+ pricing which probably has a lot to do with it. 
The router is a freebie and it's not uncommon for most SP's to provide cheaper modem-routers to those on adsl. :/

>>> Would stay well away from JL on principle if FTTC.

Their FTTC users get what is probably one of THE best modems for free.  ie a ZyXEL VMG8924 B10-A
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 11:54:31 PM »

Agree with what Kitz says, I meant that if I were in the market for FTTC service, I would stay away from JL _in a huff_ on account of how they treat ADSL2 users as pond-life. :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]