Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SSD about to completely die I think, is not a TLC or cheapo brand  (Read 7374 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: SSD about to completely die I think, is not a TLC or cheapo brand
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 05:59:30 AM »

since cable swap drive has been fine so far

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Re: SSD about to completely die I think, is not a TLC or cheapo brand
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »

Late to this thread but Ultra ATA CRC errors are usually down to the cable. This thread provides other reasons tho' and maybe useful to readers.

https://superuser.com/questions/1294158/what-may-cause-very-high-crc-errors-on-ssd-apart-from-bad-sata-cables-if-any

I must admit that I have over the past year or so swapped most of my boot drives to SSds (Samsung) and I am concerned by the fact that SSDs can and will brick without any warning and unlike traditional HDDs once they brick it is virtually impossible to retrieve data.

As a consequence, I now back up my boot drive(s) very much more often and am using a belt and braces approach as regards disk monitoring by way of using paying drive monitoring software. I use HDSentinel Standard and HDTune Pro.

I had never purchased this type of software pre SSD but am pleased that I have then now.

HDSentinel in particular is truly excellent. I got two licenses during Black Friday deals last year for £18. I am sorry that I didn't purchase that particular software earlier.

Cheers 
Pages: 1 [2]