Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Broadband: Up to 8 Mb/s? Stuck at 2 Mb/s...  (Read 6318 times)

autosuggested

• Just arrived
BT Broadband: Up to 8 Mb/s? Stuck at 2 Mb/s...
« on: November 14, 2006, 01:52:31 AM »

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can offer a little advice on my connection. I joined BT Broadband around a month ago, going for Up to 8 Mb, Option 3. Now, I know that 2 Mb/s is normal for the first ten days, during which time my line is constantly being tested to choose the speed at which it can connect. However, I still seem to be stuck at 2 Mb/s.

I did a few quick checks.

1) At http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php I got the following result:

Code: [Select]
BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Guildford telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 6.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: GEGEGEC] You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 642 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

The compatibility problem at the end is caused by the fact I already have a BT Broadband account, I'm guessing,

2) At http://speedtester.bt.com/ I got the following result:

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1922 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on X11 Linux i686.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

3) The BT Home Hub has been reset within the last couple of days. Here are its current DSL details (from advanced settings):

Link Information

Uptime: 2509 days, 1:20:24
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 2,272
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.02 / 2.66
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 33.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 19.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 27 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 27
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11

I don't feel up to answering questions about microfilters from BT's offshore callcenter workers quite yet... so does anybody have any ideas on how I could go about improving my connection speed?

All help gratefully received!

Thanks,
// Dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Broadband: Up to 8 Mb/s? Stuck at 2 Mb/s...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:59:59 AM »

The upstream connection speed of 288 indicates that you have been put on a fixed 2Mbps service, not ADSL Max. Your attenuation and noise margin figures are good, and should enable you to get much higher speeds on Max. You need to complain to BT that you've been put on the wrong service.

Eric
  Eric

autosuggested

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:27:24 AM »

Thanks for your help, Roseway.

I called BT and indeed, I had incorrectly been given a fixed 2Mb account on the 29th of October.

After speaking to BT, they're re-grading it which should take about a week so it should hopefully be done by the 21st. There wasn't really any explanation of what had happened, except that on the 29th October they set the account as 2Mb fixed. I didn't mention it in my previous post, but that's the time when I got a call from them telling me that I had slipped through the billing net but that they weren't going to charge me for the few weeks up to that date.

Hopefully it's all sorted now and by the end of this month (including the new ten-day line training period) I'll have a proper ADSLMax connection.

Thanks again,
// Dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:44:32 PM »

Here's hoping it all works out. :)

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 07:52:41 AM »

Hi

Glad you appear to be getting it sorted
Hopefully youve now been maxed?  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker