Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mesh solution for use with Sky Fibre Max  (Read 3345 times)

deebo007

• Just arrived
Mesh solution for use with Sky Fibre Max
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »

Hi All,

I'm a long time browser of this forum, but have only today found the need to post. Here's the query:

I have Sky Fibre max with a Sky Q Hub. The wifi is appalling from the Sky Q Hub, so I'm looking to move to a Mesh solution. I've looked into the Linksys Velop Tri-Band kit, and it's my current favourite. However, to use the Velop I'd need to keep the Sky Q Hub and disable routing on the Velop which would then limit the features available on the Linksys system. I've looked into using a standalone modem such as the Huawei HG612 3B combined with the Velop for routing and WiFi - unfortunately, the Velop does not support Sky's MER/Option 61 so there's no chance of getting that working (Please tell me I'm wrong!?!?).

Is there another Mesh solution that supports Sky's MER/Option 61?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Mesh solution for use with Sky Fibre Max
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:24 AM »

I don't know about your issue with Sky. I use the BT Whole Home WiFi system which simply requires you to connect it to the lan by cable for one unit and ideally disable the WiFi on your router. The router can still do all the connection stuff and IP allocation etc. Worth a look if you have not already.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:17:59 PM »

Had a quick Google and didn't see any mesh system with DHCP option 61 ... so at a guess I'd say that maybe you can get a VDSL modem router that does support option 61, turn off the DHCP server on it and give it a static IP address(apparently the Sky box doesn't like having the DHCP turned off(?)) - then attach your mesh system to it and use that DHCP server to hand out addresses, using your VDSL/router's static IP address as the gateway. I'm sure somebody will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.  ???

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »

Just to add...

Do you have Sky TV and Multi-room..? just the TV boxes also act as wireless repeaters and may just need configuring for your environment.

Why dont you just disable wifi in the Q-Hub so you can still use its modem to make the connection, then simply feed the new setup from that? (Sky-LAN-to-Linksys-WAN), may not be 'bridged' but should still work?

According to Mark39's post on this page the restriction for using 3rd party routers has been removed around late 2018.

You may also want to post the same request for help over at the SkyUser forum as there are likely to be many Sky users on it that use 3rd party modems.
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

deebo007

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:58 AM »

Just to add...

Do you have Sky TV and Multi-room..? just the TV boxes also act as wireless repeaters and may just need configuring for your environment.

Why dont you just disable wifi in the Q-Hub so you can still use its modem to make the connection, then simply feed the new setup from that? (Sky-LAN-to-Linksys-WAN), may not be 'bridged' but should still work?

According to Mark39's post on this page the restriction for using 3rd party routers has been removed around late 2018.

You may also want to post the same request for help over at the SkyUser forum as there are likely to be many Sky users on it that use 3rd party modems.

I have also posted my query on the SkyUser forum, and seem to have found a solution. Placing the Velop system in the DMZ of the Sky Q Hub should sort any issues with double NAT. I'll keep you all posted if/when I make the change. Thanks.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »

I have also posted my query on the SkyUser forum, and seem to have found a solution. Placing the Velop system in the DMZ of the Sky Q Hub should sort any issues with double NAT. I'll keep you all posted if/when I make the change. Thanks.
Double-check the Velop's got its internal firewall...

deebo007

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »

Double-check the Velop's got its internal firewall...

Will do,  :fingers: