Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VMG1312-B10A as wireless access point  (Read 2410 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
VMG1312-B10A as wireless access point
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

This is doing my head in!

Since moving my modem and router downstairs to use the master socket via filtered faceplate (7 phone sockets giving a bridge tap) I've been suffering with poor WiFi upstairs in the office. Bright idea: use a spare VMG1312-B10A as a WAP. The attached diagram shows what I want to achieve.

I've disabled DHCP server and disabled the WAN interfaces. IPv4 looks to be working fine, but IPv6 is a different story.

At the moment I don't know how to change the IPv6 configuration and the router currently has no IPv6 address.

What is doing my head in is that IPv6 has stopped working on the desktop PC. If I disconnect the VMG1312-B10A IPv6 starts working!

Any ideas?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VMG1312-B10A as wireless access point
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »

I'm not sure.  :-\

Have you tried configuring the -B10A to use the LAN4 port as its WAN port, configure the WAN port to use IPoE and take the IP address it is given (by the -B10D). You will probably also need to turn off NAT on the -B10A, as well as the DHCP server (which I note that you state you have already done).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »

I believe the VMG1312-B10A has a number of IPV6 bugs documented on the AAISP page for that unit.

I only ever recommend it as a bridge modem for this reason.

Perhaps the AAISP page in question will give a clue to wether your issue is 1 already documented.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »

I was aware that the B10A had IPv6 bugs, which is why I'm using the HG612 modem/B10D router combination. I'd hoped that as I was wanting to use it as a dumb Wireless Access Point (and switch) the IPv6 bugs would be irrelevant.
Doing an ipconfig /all on the desktop PC it looks like the B10D is advertising itself as an IPv6 gateway which, as it is closer on the LAN that the real gateway which is I suspect why it breaks the IPv6 on the desktop whose IPv6 traffic shouldn't be going anywhere near it.
NAT is I think a red herring as the IPv4 is working correctly.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:16:03 AM »

Having had my head done in all day, it's time for me to do your heads in!

As the configuration I wanted seemed to be 100% for IPv4 I decided that I'd forego IPv6 upstairs in the office. On the B10A I therefore went to the Home Networking page and under LAN IPv6 Mode Setup I set the IPv6 State to disabled. God knows how, but IPv6 is now working. (I've set the B10D to channel 11 and the B10A to channel 6 so I do know which I've connected to).

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »

If you think about its neither IPv6 or even IPv4 is actually needed for the wireless AP function.   So I guess when IPv6 was enabled there was some conflict, maybe it was advertising a different prefix in it's announcements or something. 

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 01:44:21 PM »

Thanks - that's pretty much the conclusion I came to as being the only explanation.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »

I need to re-read the AA article on the bugs, but as I recall some were pretty low-level and nasty.

Some routers (modems?) have had bugs where they have used a piece of hardware called something like ‘an accelerator’ which speeds up processing of traffic but spies on certain protocol types or something and has problems relating to state iirc. Caching information in the hardware, and then the software gets confused with it or out of step. I forget. Can’t remember if this model of chipset was one affected.

anything