Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Internet speeds in the North sea  (Read 3021 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: Internet speeds in the North sea
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »

Yup, As I've always previously been on drilling rigs, We normally are left to deal with everything onboard along with the sparkies.
I quite like it though as every day is different.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »

I think that might have possibly appealed to me, being on/off duty for extended periods. I don’t know. Although the idea of being offshore might appeal to someone like myself, I would expect that I wouldn’t know what it’s going to be like until I got there, and so might be fooling myself. Mind you, not that there would be any software jobs in such an environment and I am totally ignorant about hardware.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

These days everything seems to be going PLC controlled which was a fair change for me going from a 30+ year old conventional drilling rig to a 6th/7th generation cyber base drilling rig. It was basically starting again.
I remember my first trip like it was yesterday, Getting off the helicopter onto a big floating rust bucket thinking "What have I signed up for??"

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »

I think that might have possibly appealed to me, being on/off duty for extended periods

Yes, 2 & 3 was a great schedule (2 weeks on and 3 weeks off), however, when oil prices dropped in 2015 and the oil companies started crying povert, as they do, there was an almost complete change to 3 & 3 schedule, being already past my "sell by" date and with close to 29 years service in the same field I decided to call it a day, 3 & 3 was not for me.

Electronics very much took over in the petro/chemical field over the years with PLC's and SCADA based control systems, however, pneumatics and hydraulics were still required at the "heavy end", rotating equipment and safety systems, still had to go out in the cold and get hands dirty when things went wrong which was certainly not uncommon in such a harsh environment.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 05:57:37 PM »

I've never had a 2/3 rotation. I've always been 2/2 (Hated that) or 4/4 when I worked in Nigeria or Korea. 3/3 is new to me.
I got hit hard with that downturn. The project I was working on got cancelled 3 months before the sail date so we got paid off in December 2015. I only managed to get another position in July/August of 2017.
The only job I could get was serving breakfasts or pulling pints at the local hotel to me.

Glad to be back working now though.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything