News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Snow  (Read 2121 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Snow
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »

That is the problem with a lot of modern cars and 4x4s, the tyres are just too wide, so the weight of the vehicle is spread over a larger area and thus the tyre slips easier.

In Canada it is a legal requirement to fit winter tyres in certain areas during winter, the disclaimer is probably there so there is no doubt they are not winter tyres.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 07:09:44 PM »

In Canada it is a legal requirement to fit winter tyres in certain areas during winter, the disclaimer is probably there so there is no doubt they are not winter tyres.

There is a similar legal requirement in parts of Europe, but in that respect Michelin claim they do meet the requirements. :'(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »

My wife has winter tyres on her Land Rover Discovery. She just turns the dial to ‘snow’ mode, puts it into low box and it crawls up the steep entrance to the drive with no drama while delivery men are stuck and unable to get up to us. I had manufacturer-recommended winter tyres on a second set of manufacturer’s wheels, for my last car; when I was still driving, that is, in 2011.

There is about 4-5 in of snow in the field now. Yesterday morning there was a blizzard, total whiteout, lasting an hour. We have been running the kitchen tap day and night hoping not to lose the water supply to freezing of pipes from our borehole.

We have a deep borehole which gathers water that descends from Beinn nan Càrn and a pump that takes the water up into a very large head tank a little way up the bank. In Braigh Mhàrr, my wife tells me it, was down to -12℃ the other day or maybe night. We usually escape all the deep cold.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything