Computer Software > Security

Internet cut-off scam

(1/4) > >>

Weaver:
Some evil scammers rang my wife’s mother who is 92 and asked for her debit card details “or else your internet will be turned off”. Playing along with them, she said “oh dear." and after a little more chat, said “Mind you, it will be very clever if you turn my internet off from there, as I don’t have any.” They then hung up.

She is very with-it, knows all about scammers and enjoys playing along with them a little, to just waste their time and have some fun. But some old folks would get conned by this. So I think it’s pretty low and very evil indeed. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a call from outside the uk. I wish the police had been informed.

sevenlayermuddle:
These calls have really ramped up in recent weeks, sometimes several a day.   Never twice the same calling number.

I can understand the risks of people being sucked in but for me, I get a lot of fun out of them.   I still enjoy very politely stringing them along, still enjoy the moment they reallise they’re being strung along, and start swearing at me.

Btw, they are often interspersed with a different scam call, claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service, offering to block the other calls.    They also can be persuaded to swear, if you annoy them correctly. :D

Weaver:
Getting them to swear is a noble achievement and takes some skill imho. Well done. The more time you can waste the better.

Can the calling numbers be obtained if the police get involved?

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Weaver on January 30, 2019, 12:40:32 PM ---Getting them to swear is a noble achievement and takes some skill imho. Well done. The more time you can waste the better.

Can the calling numbers be obtained if the police get involved?

--- End quote ---

Sorry no, but what would be the point if the numbers are spoofed?

chenks:

--- Quote from: Weaver on January 30, 2019, 12:40:32 PM ---The more time you can waste the better.

--- End quote ---

this bit has always bemused me.
why would i want to waste any of "my" time just to stop them from wasting someone elses.

personally i never answer any numbers i don't know (ie any that aren't in my contacts list), so none of my time ever gets wasted. they are free to waste the time of anyone else they choose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version