Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Internet cut-off scam  (Read 6235 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Internet cut-off scam
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:56:20 AM »

Some evil scammers rang my wife’s mother who is 92 and asked for her debit card details “or else your internet will be turned off”. Playing along with them, she said “oh dear." and after a little more chat, said “Mind you, it will be very clever if you turn my internet off from there, as I don’t have any.” They then hung up.

She is very with-it, knows all about scammers and enjoys playing along with them a little, to just waste their time and have some fun. But some old folks would get conned by this. So I think it’s pretty low and very evil indeed. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a call from outside the uk. I wish the police had been informed.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Internet cut-off scam
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »

These calls have really ramped up in recent weeks, sometimes several a day.   Never twice the same calling number.

I can understand the risks of people being sucked in but for me, I get a lot of fun out of them.   I still enjoy very politely stringing them along, still enjoy the moment they reallise they’re being strung along, and start swearing at me.

Btw, they are often interspersed with a different scam call, claiming to be from the Telephone Preference Service, offering to block the other calls.    They also can be persuaded to swear, if you annoy them correctly. :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »

Getting them to swear is a noble achievement and takes some skill imho. Well done. The more time you can waste the better.

Can the calling numbers be obtained if the police get involved?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »

Getting them to swear is a noble achievement and takes some skill imho. Well done. The more time you can waste the better.

Can the calling numbers be obtained if the police get involved?

Sorry no, but what would be the point if the numbers are spoofed?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »

The more time you can waste the better.

this bit has always bemused me.
why would i want to waste any of "my" time just to stop them from wasting someone elses.

personally i never answer any numbers i don't know (ie any that aren't in my contacts list), so none of my time ever gets wasted. they are free to waste the time of anyone else they choose.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »

this bit has always bemused me.
why would i want to waste any of "my" time just to stop them from wasting someone elses.

personally i never answer any numbers i don't know (ie any that aren't in my contacts list), so none of my time ever gets wasted. they are free to waste the time of anyone else they choose.

I don’t think I ‘waste’ a single moment of my time, on these callers.      I do however choose to spend some of my time dealing with them in such a way that annoys them. :)

That apart, you are clearly very organised, having all expected callers in your contacts list.  I don’t even try, I simply answer all incoming calls, the vast majority of which are genuine callers.  And often for my better half, so I’d not recognise the numbers even if I tried.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »

not a case of being "very organised", but more of a case that the only people i would need to answer a call from are in my contact list.
if they aren't then they can leave a voicemail.

but hey, guess i value my own time more than yours  :P

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »

not a case of being "very organised", but more of a case that the only people i would need to answer a call from are in my contact list.
if they aren't then they can leave a voicemail.

but hey, guess i value my own time more than yours  :P

On the contrary, you clearly have more spare time than I have, and you use it keeping your contact lists up to date. :D

Still not quite sure how that would work though.   I recently called a car dealer and booked my car in for service, using the local number of a nearby dealer that’s part of a larger chain.   When they called back to discuss the work, the call came from a different number than the one I used for booking, probably the chain’s main switchboard.   That kind of thing is not unusual, in my experience. :-\

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »

not at all, i haven't updated my contacts list in quite some time.
i only have people i know in my contacts list and don't add numbers on a whim.

in your scenario it's quite simple, if i called someone and they call me back on an unknown or unrecognised number then the call goes to voicemail. if it's something they need to speak to me about they'll leave a message and i'll call back at my convenience. google number matching helps by most of the time telling me who it is even though the number might not be in my contacts list.

remember this, just because a phone rings doesn't mean you have to drop everything and answer it. the ring is an invitiation to answer, not a demand.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »

Sorry for persevering, but in the precise example of car servicing, it really is to my asdvantage to answer the call.

Such calls are generally made by the service manager, who has some tchnical knowledge, and is able to “talk turkey” with regards to the finer points of vehicle mechanics.   If his call goes to voicemail and I have to call back, I’ll end up dealing with some receptionist who’s skill set is largely restricted to smiling sweetly and offering cups of coffee.

Another example is GP access.   Our own surgery allows telephone appointments whereby a doctor will call you back within an agreed time window.  The system works well as long as I answer the call, but I don’t think the doctor would take kindly if I refused to answer, just because his call didn’t show the main reception number, or was withheld.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »

not sure what or even why you are persevering.
i simply said what i do. i'm not telling anyone to do what i do.

however, as i said, if i was to get a call from the the local medical centre, and i didn't already have their number in my contacts list, then google would more than likely tell me that is who is calling as google pretty much is able to match most businesses when the calls is incoming.

also, your GP example is mostly irrelevant as that is a call you would already be expecting to receive, it's hardly unsolicited.

as i said, just because a phone rings doesn't mean you have to drop everything and answer it. the ring is an invitiation to answer, not a demand.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »

however, as i said, if i was to get a call from the the local medical centre, and i didn't already have their number in my contacts list, then google would more than likely tell me that is who is calling as google pretty much is able to match most businesses when the calls is incoming.

Just to clarify, you are talking about actual landline phone calls here, are you, as per the calls referred to in subject?   I’m really struggling to see how Google can be helping you in the way that it is, are your wired home phones integrated with Google?

As for leaving calls unanswered, I generally reserve that for callers who are known to me.   For example, my late Dad used to call for a chat most evenings,   Each call was usually quite drawn out so, if he rang during dinner, I’d ignore it and call back.   He was not the least bit offended as he knew our meal times were unpredictable and, more importantly, he knew I’d then be paying for the call. :D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »

the OP didn't specify a "landline" in the opening post.
my only phone is a mobile.

as i said, i simply said what "I DO".
how you choose to waste your own time is entirely up to you. me, i prefer to waste my time respinding to idiots in forums. it's more enteraining than "spam" phone calls.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »

Ah, so you had misunderstood what was being discussed, suddenly the whole dialogue makes sense, thank you for clarifying.

FYI, I very rarely answer any calls at all on my mobile, unless agreed in advance with the caller, regardless whether they are from a known contact.  But then I very rarely disclose the number anyway.   And I’d certainly not want to get involved in a drawn out conversation with a scammer on a mobile, so we are in agreement after all.  :)

The thread discussed scam calls threatening to cut off internet access for the line they are calling.     It is hard to see how such a scam would relate to mobiles.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »

no mis-understanding at all. the discussion is about nuisance scam calls, and how playing along with them wastes their time preventing them from wasting the time of others.
also, the OP made no mention of any "line", just that internet would be cut off. the only thing that surprised me was there was no mention of a cat being involved at some point.

i'll happily keep wasting your time though for as long as you want, as you seem to be more than willing to get involved in a drawn out conversation.
Pages: [1] 2

anything