Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A on infinity  (Read 2689 times)

cjlhessing

Zyxel VMG8924-B10A on infinity
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:01:35 PM »

Guys, Im new here please don't flame me to hell and back lol.

So I'm looking to replace my BT smarthub, was originally going to go the HG612 3B-unlocked path with a router of my choice and was looking up the usual vigor 130, Netgear 200 and something else when someone recommended this model, the Zyxel as being the best and most popular here at KITZ.

Sooooo....Pretty sure I can turn off it's built in wireless and connect my own router (bridge mode is it?), one of the reasons to do this is so when I tinker and restart things it would be the router not the modem, the Zyxel in this case - so Openreach don't screw up my line with that monitoring thing they do - very fast to take your line down, very slow to put it back up again lol.

If someone could just confirm this Zyxel is still a good way to go and that I can turn off wifi and just use it as a modem I'll pull the plug and order :)

Just incase this does matter.
Exchange UPTON PARK served by Cabinet 57
(Cab 57 along with all others for the exchange is a Huawei according to a lookup service)

Thanks guys, and thanks to licquorice over at bt forums for recommending this forum and the Zyxel.
Huawei = Broadcom...I think.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A on infinity
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Sooooo....Pretty sure I can turn off it's built in wireless and connect my own router (bridge mode is it?), one of the reasons to do this is so when I tinker and restart things it would be the router not the modem, the Zyxel in this case . . .

Yes, the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A can be configured as a bridging modem . . . just like any of their other VMGxxxx series CPEs.

Exchange UPTON PARK served by Cabinet 57
(Cab 57 along with all others for the exchange is a Huawei according to a lookup service)

Thanks guys, and thanks to licquorice over at bt forums for recommending this forum and the Zyxel.
Huawei = Broadcom...I think.

Yes, a cabinet equipped with Huawei electronics will be using a Broadcom chip-set on the DSLAM line-cards. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cjlhessing

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »

Ah thank you matey, really appreciate the way you answered that for me! Excited to say bye-bye to the bt 'smarthub'! I'll keep it under the stairs or something rather than make a bonfire with it I guess. ???

Thanks again, I figured it was possible to use it as a bridge but you could do that with BT ones too until the 'smart' thing came out and suddenly you cant anymore.

Cheers! Sorry I cant buy you a pint or something to say thanks lol but if you're ever down East London way consider it a done deal.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »

@cjlhessing

You may already be aware, there is a router stats monitoring utility available for the BT Hub 5A here:
http://vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

May not be relevant to your particular BT Smarthub but worth a look, provides very limited stats capability by comparison to DSLStats but better than nothing, I used the program for a short time with my Plusnet Hub One (re-badged BT HH 5A), worked well within the limitations of the chip-set.

As other members have said, XyXEL modem/router & DSLStats, preferably running 24/7 on something like a Raspberry Pi if you wish to go that far, lots of very good information available on all these aspects within the forum.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 12:02:59 AM »

Thanks again, I figured it was possible to use it as a bridge but you could do that with BT ones too until the 'smart' thing came out and suddenly you cant anymore.

You may find this tutorial on setting the Zyxel VMG's up into bridged mode (to use as modem only) useful

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything