Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thinking of buying an iPad - any suggestions from where?  (Read 5321 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Thinking of buying an iPad - any suggestions from where?
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »

I'm thinking of buying an iPad. I'm wondering what are good places to buy it from?

Anyone any suggestions?

This will be my first attempt to own an apple made device. I'm used to androids.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Thinking of buying an iPad - any suggestions from where?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:09:07 PM »

buy it anywhere, makes no difference and likely no difference in price.

shambly

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »

I'm thinking of buying an iPad. I'm wondering what are good places to buy it from?

Anyone any suggestions?

This will be my first attempt to own an apple made device. I'm used to androids.

If on a budget, you can do worse than buy a refurbished device directly from Apple. I've done this numerous times, with various devices, and always received a perfect item (but in a plain carton).

Availability does vary but you can currently get the 2017 128GB iPad for £299. Uses A9 rather than current A10 processor, for £110 less.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad

Simon

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »

John lewis have started to occasionally (shock horror) discount Apple stuff, over the past few years.    Even if they are not discounting, the two year warranty is better than Apple’s.   And I think it is fair to say, JL have as good a reputation as it gets when it comes to honouring warranties, should the need arise.

One thing to be careful of, Apple sometimes make subtle changes and updates to hardware, that can make it hard to distinguish an ‘old’ model from ‘current’.   I have found JL to be selling these ‘old’ models, at least with iMacs if not iPads.  I think it is accidental as the genuine current models are also genuinely discounted, but it pays to make doubly and triply certain that the item they are selling is identical version to the Apple Store.

With any Apple kit, I’d suggest buying a device that’s recently launched, even if it costs more.   That improves the chances that subsequent releases of iOS in years to come, will still be supported.   Nothing is set in concrete and ongoing support can be discontinued, but can also very good, our iPad Mini 2 was purchased in December 2013 just a couple of weeks after launch, and still runs latest iOS.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »

As mentioned above John Lewis offer a 2 year guarantee on all electrical items (5 year on tv's) but they occasionally run Apple deals with 3 year warranties.
Looks like the last offer with 3 year warranty ended in October.

I'll add in the obligatory "don't waste your money on an apple logo" comment.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 12:08:08 AM »

Some interesting suggestions that Apple might be about to reduce overseas prices...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47047297

Mr Cook said the tech giant had started this month to re-price its phones to shield customers from the impact of currency fluctuations.

Sterling vs Dollar has certainly “fluctuated” somewhat in recent times.   Might be worth waiting a week or two for that iPad, see what transpires?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »

I have bought Apple stuff from John Lewis

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »

See my post 'FaceTime Sound' below.
I got mine from Curry's and my daughter bought me a cover keypad, it is very nice bit of kit.
I would not touch these from 'other counties' on ebay / internet.
Get yourself an 'Apple ID' to use some of the apps/functions.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »

Apple are expected to launch updated iPad models shortly- most likely in March - so I would hold off on any purchase for a short while..

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »

John Lewis is running their 3 year warranty promo on iPad's until 6th Match.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM