Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A Has anyone got a copy of the install disc please  (Read 2546 times)

grapevine1

• Just arrived

That is if it can be copied I am more than happy to cover postage etc, luckily I have picked up a couple of Zyxel VMG8924-B10A routers, it appears because they are a little difficult said by some to install, and especially if you dont have a tech background
There are no discs with these routers that I have been given, it is said they were ok and not faulty just set up previously by ordinary folk , and it might save some time & effort for me.
also has anyone got a step by step guide they have made up to follow to unlock/ and or flash the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A router and what is the prefered version of the firmware to flash it with.
Some enterprising young schoolboy Techies (got the coding bug in school and dont want a paper round!!) are onto a good earner in that they earn some bucks by offering to improve broadband service, conditional on the fitment of their choice of router and their stated costs!! they fit for a fee a NEW router with its guarantee and load it up, supply a printed sheet of the old router performance and the new one.
Unfortunately they dont live near me in fact 150 miles away
their routers are top end and all identical, taught to load that one only, by their school teacher!!!. I missed my vocation!!
BW
grapevine1

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A Has anyone got a copy of the install disc please
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:29:19 PM »

Is there a disc? Dont think there is with the VMG-1312-B10A and I have 4, none have discs.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 12:13:27 AM »

also has anyone got a step by step guide they have made up to follow to unlock/ and or flash the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A router and what is the prefered version of the firmware to flash it with.

There are no disc. Have a look at https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm for an installation guide.

The 8324 and 8924 are the same - apart from the WiFi - and use the same firmware.

Any version of the firmware will do - I prefer to use the latest - currently v.28 which can be found at ftp://ftp.zyxel.co.uk/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/

This thread is updated when new firmware is available

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »

I can also confirm I did not find any CD in my 8924 box... but in the ZyXEL FTP site you can find firmware, quick start guide and user's guide, what else would you need ?

But if you really want it, you might try to contact ZyXEL support...

grapevine1

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »

Thank you all for the above replies.
(one) if you look at a number of the adverts on fleebay they not only say to include the installation disc (and it can be observed in their photographs in their for sale adverts), but to be fair some do not mention any disc at all but do state in the wording below that no disc or instalation instructions are included in the sale. in the case of the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A which is the position some of us are in, and with no personal practical experience in the setting up of this particular router. (My own personal experience in my past theoretical and practical education was involved with dial up and then in ADSL on some long lines some of which were almost in a fantasy world where long lengths of aluminium cable fed a router with a noisy, spikey and a signal ended up with a cartload of crosstalk attempting to be processed with a large capacitive or inductive reactance often finding only one commercial adsl router the DG834V3 firmware and modified at that by one of our team. Then along came another Radio amateur 3vwl who produced a great bit of software called router stats.
I am reasonably informed that the VMG8324-B10A contains a single WiFi bandwidth in the 2.4Ghz frequency range for wifi and the router labeled containing a 9 in Zyxel VMG8924-B10A contains two bands of WiFi that of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
I am a little sad that I did not bother to consider any router in the single WiFi capacity, therefore that ruled out the 8324 and the older 1312.
If one reads the plethora of comments and findings in attempts and it appears a great number of successes.
When one looks at reports on routers in the Zyxel range there is some level of criticism of the WiFi output of the 8924-B10A

Also there was the big interest in the ability to monitor a wide range of the statistics obtainable from the Zyxel routers

I however was not to concerned about WiFi as I am ethernet cabled in the house as I may switch off WiFi separately as I have done before with the 12v feed or otherwise to a separate WeFi unit, and as someone has already commented it may not be necessary to go so far as to Bridge together the units.
To reduce mains line noise we use for personal use from FleeBay, Dantech metal boxed wall mounting. (I have no personal or commercial association) DA396 orDA397 or the 8/4 O/p versions with a 7Amp/h 12V sealed lead acid battery which have been of great assistance with sometimes additional mains I/p filters or/and 12v o/p filters you would be surprised at how much benefit such improvement can be gained from this combination when it replaces the black plug Pwer supply (PSU) an advantage is that you also loose the glitches and on offs of the mains supply that causes the cycling of and retraining of the broadband delivery. Some of us have always lived in the country so this holds the broadband router and the security devices until the generator kicks in to feed all this and provide power to the central heating, gas or oil boilers DONT function without 240vac mains supply.

There are other 12v supplies the DA665 which has a High efficiency switch mode
    1 x 12V DC 4A (DA665-1)
    2 x 12V DC 2A (DA665-2)
    4 x 12V DC 1A (DA665-4)
    8 x 12V DC 500mA (DA665-8) all appear from time to time also on fleebay
I have more than a couple of dozen friends who have all taken my lead with these PSU units (with battery back up) to great advantage with their broadband service

Anyway thanks to all for informong me or us where to look for all the software/firmware to move with the times and enjoy a real experience of almost true broadband in the home, all be it from FTTC at the mo.
BW
Grapevine1

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »

I have a CD in with my VMG8924-B10A, on the label it states:

Contents
User's Guide
Quick Start Guide
Support Note
Acrobat Reader
Product Registration

I've uploaded to Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vkp1t2mgxg68n5g/AABWTuZrkaW43hC9kUJw35bsa?dl=0
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:30 PM »

Thank you, vic. I've downloaded a copy for investigation.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

grapevine1

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:08:03 AM »

Thank You Vic0239 & Burakkucat,
I like yourselves do my homework.
I take care and as a person who was an apprentice in Electronic (Communication) Research up to 30Ghz and presented my papers as a formally qualified Senior research Engineer with a susid in Law around the World (East & West) do my homework as fully as possible, and advised in my speciality at the highest possible level, and in the hairiest of situations, delivered and enjoyed it all.

Thank you Vic for placing the information that I was fuly aware of in a drop box for all to benefit from.
I am not up in the World of the design of VDSL routers and no longer have a lab.Whereas some well known router manufacturers do not provide patches after a few years others do and one such is Zyxel (I have no connection or company involvement). They also use some pretty efective processor chips and designs but all to often others cut corners and production units sometimes fall a little short on performance. we have to look to a former Eastern country for some performance routers but there is a cost.
Vic and Bur if you want to talk any time PM me Please I havent programed in Machine code or higher level since my thesis in 1982
BW
grapevine1 --- London, Cardiff & The Lizard.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:05:43 AM »

afaik there isn't an installation disc for the VMG8324/8924's.     

Those on general retail weren't - although there may be some ISPs who package a disk in the box, but its more of a quick start guide that can be downloaded from the main zyxel website as opposed to an actual installation disk.

I believe I was probably the first person to use a retail VMG8324 in the UK when it was brand new to the country, there were no instructions and even the quick start guide didn't work properly with VDSL2 back then  (this has now been fixed!).    I'd just spent a good chunk of money (and VDSL modem/routers weren't cheap back then) on something which compared to ISP supplied routers looked quite complicated.   At the time I took a risk purchasing a previously unknown VDSL2 modem-router, but I took that risk based on the reputation of the business grade Zyxel SBG3300-N which was one of the very first VDSL modem-routers which had a similar chipset...  but totally out of my price range.

I managed to set it up and was blown away by the GUI which IMHO is one of the best GUI's available for residential routers.  I did the set up tutorial to make it easy for others.    The GUI is still slightly buggy & quirky, but on the whole once you get used to it, you will love it and IMHO it makes a lot of others seem inferior.

I've since tested numerous other modem routers, but the VMG8324/VMG8924 is still my router of choice and out performs anything else I have used on my line.   (I last year picked up a VMG8924 for the better wifi) and I always end up going back to it.

When one looks at reports on routers in the Zyxel range there is some level of criticism of the WiFi output of the 8924-B10A

As per my previous post, I admitted it's not the latest and greatest...  but to be candid, for the money it's not bad.   It's unfair to compare its wifi capabilities with a router that can cost £200-£300.
As far as the VMG8324-B10A goes, its only 2.4Ghz, but as others on here will testify it has a fairly decent range when compared to others in the same price bracket.    It is actually one of the very few routers that will allow me to use my tablet on a sun patio at the bottom of my garden...  so in those instances range is far more important than the 5Ghz frequencies. 

Then along came another Radio amateur 3vwl who produced a great bit of software called router stats.
Also there was the big interest in the ability to monitor a wide range of the statistics obtainable from the Zyxel routers.

Now you want DSLstats and for that you need to thank Eric whose baby it is.  No disrespect to John and routerstats which is good, but DSLstats does so much more.
There's been a lot of hard work put in to getting out VDSL stats by numerous members of this forum (way too many to mention!), but it is also fair to mention BaldEagle, Ronski, b*cat & Asbo or we'd still likely be still in the dark when it comes to fully line monitoring FTTC connections.   

Zyxel (I have no connection or company involvement).

FTR neither do we.   Neither I, the site nor any reg members have any connections other than purchasing their modem-routers.   I have spent a lot of time in the past reporting bugs and issues direct to Zyxel, but that was only so that the broadband community benefited by Zyxel releasing new updated f/w.     We recommend them because their modems generally speaking are the most stable for the majority of lines*.

-----
*   Not all lines perform the same and each line may be subject to different types of noise.  The Zyxels unique inbuilt noise filter usually gives it the performance edge...  but there is and always will be some lines which perform better with a different chipset.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything