Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Dell i5 PC Win 10 Issue ?  (Read 7584 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: New Dell i5 PC Win 10 Issue ?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »

You should be able to put the serial number into Dell's website and see what updates are available. The current BIOS version would normally show during the POST, if you can't get into the BIOS during POST then I'm not sure, some PC's have a utility to reboot from Windows into the BIOS.

Probably best to wait and see what Dell says tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Yes, did find out that the BIOS was in fact 2 versions out of date and managed to update using the Dell utility, the web site is really excellent, also updated quite a number of drivers and carried out a hardware test all without issues.

Unfortunately, the original issue is still the same, PC won't recover after any startup menu option is chosen, hopefully the Dell live support tomorrow will be as good as their web site and they can come up with a solution, really hope that return to base is not required, a lot of hassle.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 05:23:27 PM »

Will be interesting to hear what the issue is, perhaps it is some sort of Windows issue.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:31 PM »

Will be interesting to hear what the issue is, perhaps it is some sort of Windows issue.

Yes indeed, hopefully a solution will be forthcoming from Dell, can really only be Windows or BIOS (UEFI), there's no indication that Dell have performed a "lock out" as all their web information relative to recovery etc. still describes envoking the "one time restart" routine to implement changes.

Certainly have had more support on this forum with the issue than from the Dell members forum, zero response over 2 days accepting of course that the staff are not active over the weekend.
Will certainly keep this post updated and again thanks to all who offered support to date.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »

Very long session on the phone with Dell support this morning, thankfully an 0800 number, usual language difficulties but after much repetition finally convinced support tech. that there was indeed an issue with the PC..

Although only the basic warranty (return to base) was taken out at purchase, due to the PC having just been delivered and still in the throws of initial commissioning, the support tech. offered to dispatch an engineer under instruction to replace the mother board, promised within 48 hours.

Really not convinced that there is a hardware issue, the Dell short & long diagnostic tests complete without errors, still think that the issue is more likely to be BIOS or Windows related, I'am sure the Dell engineer will be in a much better position to rule on this, I will certainly demonstrate the issue to him before he sets about mother board replacement.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »

Thank you for the latest update. It does seem to be a rather peculiar situation . . . and one that will, hopefully, be resolved.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »

I'd be most surprised if it is the motherboard, hopefully the engineer will resolve the issue  :fingers:

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »

I'd be most surprised if it is the motherboard, hopefully the engineer will resolve the issue  :fingers:

Yes, my feelings exactly, I will make a point of demonstrating the issue to the engineer tomorrow before he launches into the mother board change out, I'am sure he will be keen to avoid any unnecessary work if at all possible and may perhaps have other remedial suggestions, will be sure to keep him happy, well lubricated and fed.

I have always made the assumption that the CMOS (UEFI) configuration was stored on the mother board on battery backed up RAM, hence the button cell, so at least that should be completely replaced with the new mother board and eliminate one possible source of the issue with respect to CMOS..

The operating system is on a mother board mounted SSD so I would imagine that will be retained and fitted to the new mother board so in theory if it is a Windows issue it will still be there with the new mother board.

Certainly can't fault Dell support (provided they turn up tomorrow) I have been receiving very frequent e-mail updates all day the latest advising that the material is on hand and ready for engineer pick up tomorrow.

Next episode of the saga hopefully tomorrow.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »

Thought the promised Dell home service visit time scale was too good to be true, yesterday (and most of today) gone with no appearance of engineer, last communication from Dell was a text at 08:00 hrs. yesterday advising that the replacement mother board was dispatched (from where to where unknown), yesterdays appointment was not cancelled.

Contacted Dell service this afternoon via chat line, very ill informed tech., thought the issue had been resolved then advised that the engineers visit would be today.
The weather at my location could well be an issue now for a few days, certainly won't help.

Will get back on to Dell service chat line tomorrow again and keep annoying them if no further communication is received.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »

"Mr Dell" finally arrived this morning complete with replacement mother board, pleasent chap, didn't mind silly questions or someone looking over his shoulder, perhaps the coffee & biscuits helped !

Made sure he observed the issue before launching into MB replacement, he certainly had not seen this fault before and neither of us believed that it was a hardware issue, however, for want of any other suggestions, went ahead and replaced the mother board.

Thankfully, we were both wrong, the fault was indeed completely cured.
Only action required was to re-load the BIOS, was already up to date but is a Dell requirement to do with any future recovery requirements after hardware changes have taken place.
Windows was still intact as the SSD was transferred to the new MB, however the new key provided was registered on line as there can be an issue with Microsoft authentication when major hardware changes are made to the PC..

Again, many thanks to all forum members who showed interest and offered suggestions, much appreciated, a good result in the end, certainly worth note for future reference.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »

It certainly was a peculiar puzzle but, from my understand of exactly what you were experiencing, was one that, to me, seemed to be hardware related.

A good result has now been achieved.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »

It certainly was a peculiar puzzle but, from my understand of exactly what you were experiencing, was one that, to me, seemed to be hardware related.

A good result has now been achieved.  :)

Yes, b*cat, you have certainly been proved correct on that, I still had my doubts about the CMOS (UEFI) configuration but as that could not be accessed due to the fault it was a catch 22 situation on that theory !
The big difference now is the Dell logo appears when activating "one time boot options" by any method which was not the case previously, hence the anomaly.

Always impressed by the build quality of Dell desktop PC's., well put together and easy to get apart for maintenance.
Their web site is also excellent with lots of diagnostics & utilities available, my next desktop will definately be a Dell likely purchased from Dell direct, worth the extra few quid for support.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »

Glad to hear it's resolved.
Pages: 1 [2]