Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Dell i5 PC Win 10 Issue ?  (Read 7573 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
New Dell i5 PC Win 10 Issue ?
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »

Currently setting up a brand new Dell desktop i5, Win 10 PC for a neighbour, purchased directly from Dell UK, uses a SSD/HD combination for op. system/bulk storage respectively.

Have encountered a strange issue which I think may be Windows related, was suspicious of the latest Win 1809 major upgrade which installed as part of the initial setup, however, probably not as my HP i5 Win 10 laptop has the upgrade and does not exibit the same issue.

The problem is, while being able to access the startup options by all normal means (except using any of the function keys @ re-boot), choosing any of the options results in a re-start attempt which never happens, only way to recover from this is forcing a power down / re-start back to normal Win 10.
This first came to light after making a recovery SSB drive as per Dell's recommendations & following their procedure, the produced USB drive would not boot although proved to be bootable in another PC..

Bottom line, can't get into BIOS, safe mode or any of the other startup options, in the event of a boot issue with the PC would be stuck !
Otherwise the PC is performing completely to expectation, just very reluctant to accept the current issue on a brand new PC directly from Dell which cost £599.

Obviously, the PC has 1 year support from Dell who are not available at the weekend, have tried the Dell forum but no records of such an issue and no replies to my post to date, will get on the ball to them on Monday morning.

Still believe it could be a Windows configuration issue but what ?
Could be a BIOS issue I suppose but can't get into that to check.

Any suggestion before Dell re-opens for business greatly appreciated otherwise will hopefully post a solution from Dell on Monday for members future reference. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New Dell i5 PC Win 10 Issue ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »

Have you tried rapidly hitting F2 (could also be delete) continuously during boot up?  It can be quite difficult to get the timing right. Windows won't affect access to the BIOS.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »

Have you tried rapidly hitting F2 (could also be delete) continuously during boot up?  It can be quite difficult to get the timing right. Windows won't affect access to the BIOS.

Yes, I know that F2 should be the correct startup option key for Win 10, as previously stated, have tried all combinations, doesn't really matter what method I use to access the startup options, holding shift/re-start etc., just won't proceed with any option I select other than normal boot to Windows.

Unfortunately, the worst has now happened, used an admin. command line re-boot command aimed at directly accessing the UEFI on boot, as suspected this resulted in blank screen, no re-start, however, the command seems to be binding so now stuck in limbo, can't get back to Win 10, can't access startup options (as was always the case), looks very much like it's a return to base job now, what a pain !

I have a Macrium Reflect image of the SSD on the HDD, unfortunately can't restore that either as the SSD is not a standard SATA connection, it's mounted directly on the mother board and has much smaller connections than a standard 3.5" drive module.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »

The key-press required to access the system BIOS, on Dell hardware, could be either <Fn2>, <Fn12> or <ESC> in my experience.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »

I suggest you turn off the PC, turn it back on and straight away rapidly hit the F2 key* and continue doing that, don't hold it down but repeatedly press it quickly. I've found it can be quite hard hitting the key at the right moment and this seems to work for me when I get a tricky one. This is for getting into the BIOS not the Windows boot options.

* This states it is F2 but it could possibly be a different key https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln143038/access-uefi-bios-system-setup-from-windows-on-your-dell-system?lang=en

PS. The SSD will be an NVME drive.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »

Thanks to both for replies:

As stated in original post, can actually access the startup options using eitherWindows method but never by any function key, however, once a startup option is chosen (other than boot to Windows) PC shuts down but never re-boots in any mode, this includes choosing USB disk recovery option from a device that has been confirmed to be bootable.

I was of the opinion that the admin, command line instigated re-boot I applied would not be persistant and I could easily revert to Win 10 at next re-boot, obviously not the case so now stuck in limbo which was always going to be the case if normal boot stopped working by virtue of the original issue.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »

Take a step back and pause. Have a mug of tea . . . or something.

Now forget about the OS that is on the disk. Your first task is to successfully access the BIOS. That is normally possible by pressing the "magic key" as the hardware completes its POST. If you are unable to access the BIOS, then there is something wrong with the hardware.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »

@b*cat:

Thanks for your further reply & support.

Can't really see a way out of this, having previously established (when Windows was available) that even after accessing the startup menu and chosing an option could not get any further, what I am now seeing (most likely resulting from what turned out to be persistant command I applied having changed a registry entry) is the system trying to re-boot to BIOS (or UEFI as it is now) when I know this was never possible by any means as per the originally reported issue, catch 22 situation now !

Will go through the motions with Dell support on Monday but I'am sure the PC will have to go back to base.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »

Will go through the motions with Dell support on Monday but I'am sure the PC will have to go back to base.

:(

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »

If you are going to have another look tomorrow then disconnect everything except a keyboard, and rattle F2 like there's no tomorrow.
If it won't boot in to the BIOS the device is borked, but it shouldn't boot in to Windows without the BIOS so the fact Windows was working suggests BIOS should be available.

Most Dell systems built after 2012 have the ability to be updated from the F12 One-Time Boot Menu. This process can be executed if you have a USB memory stick formatted to the FAT32 file system and the BIOS executable file that you downloaded from the Dell Support Website and copied to the root of the USB key

So F12 should open a separate "one time boot menu".
I believe that has an option to go directly to the BIOS.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:31:49 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 11:34:06 AM »

After reading the above, are you using a wired or wireless keyboard?, if the latter get a wired keyboard and connect using the usb port (next to the ps/2 connector....not on newer Dell's!)
I have had issues in the past getting into Bios on some Pc's and it (nearly) always comes down to using a wired keyboard in the right usb port...

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:43:35 AM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »

@j0hn:

Have eventually got back to normal Windows 10 again but only by constantly attempting starts & stopping, I think the situation with the F12 function key may hopefully become clearer in my reply to parkdale below.

After reading the above, are you using a wired or wireless keyboard?, if the latter get a wired keyboard and connect using the usb port (next to the ps/2 connector....not on newer Dell's!)
I have had issues in the past getting into Bios on some Pc's and it (nearly) always comes down to using a wired keyboard in the right usb port...

@parkdale:

Many thanks for your input most appreciated.
This is the latest Dell PC and does not have PS2 ports (as you said), has 4 USB-2 ports at the rear and 2 USB-3 ports at the front, the keyboard is wired, USB, as supplied.
I believe your comments are indeed relevent as by changing keyboard USB port I can now produce the "re-boot lock up situation" with F12 key as per any other attempt to execute startup functions so does now work as such.
I probably have not explained the anomaly with this PC very well so will try to clarify:

I could always access the startup options menu through Windows, holding shift & restarting or via "Setting/Recovery/Restart Now", however, any option chosen such as "boot to USB", "Advanced Options/UEFI (BIOS), Command Prompt" involve a restart to implement, this restart never completes, the PC does shutdown but remains frozen in that state until the power button is pressed which activates a complete shutdown.
The PC (usually) can then be restarted normally to Windows.

What I believe is happening, is that pressing F12 @ boot is now actually working but immediatly taking the PC to the "frozen state" as described above where only recovery option is power down & restart to Windows.

Very relieved that the PC is again back in a running state (especially as it's not my own) and will try to get some resolution from Dell support tomorrow.
Even though Windows is fully operational I am not at all happy with the situation as recover from any boot issue is currently impossible on this PC should the need ever arise, hopefully Dell will be able to provide a solution without the need to return the unit to base.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »

Have you checked to see if there are any updates for the BIOS?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 02:01:21 PM »

Have you checked to see if there are any updates for the BIOS?

What's the best way of doing that, remember, I can't get into the BIOS (UEFI) at present.

I had considered completely resetting the BIOS (UEFI) by removing the battery for a time period but was afraid that I might end up getting completely locked out of Windows.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »

You should be able to put the serial number into Dell's website and see what updates are available. The current BIOS version would normally show during the POST, if you can't get into the BIOS during POST then I'm not sure, some PC's have a utility to reboot from Windows into the BIOS.

Probably best to wait and see what Dell says tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2

anything