Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Zyxel has landed  (Read 12645 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
The Zyxel has landed
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:09:50 PM »

Came this morning, and the first efforts have been finding way into packaging. NOT!

It looks an imposing beast, and I've yet to add its feet. It seems from booklet that no installation disc was included. I bought a VMG8324, but a VMG 8924 came. Declaration of conformity is 2017-06-09, US or UK???
I shall return idc.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: The Zyxel has landed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »

I bought a VMG8324, but a VMG 8924 came.

They are the same and use same firmware, but the 8924 has better wireless and is usually slightly more expensive.
As long as it is a B10A all is good.

For set up see here
https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

... I bought a VMG8324, but a VMG 8924 came. ...

The pictures in the eBay listing you referred us to were for a 8924.
As Kitz has said it's a better spec anyway so don't be concerned.
If you follow the guide linked by Kitz you shouldn't have any issues setting it up.
It will be worth getting the Supervisor password and clearing out the John Lewis settings when you have a chance. The main one to clear out is TR069 so that it doesn't 'phone home' and update itself via John Lewis broadband.
:)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »

Put my portrait in the numpties gallery!
I can't get past opening the web gui.
admin 1234 doesn't work, neither what i think are supervisor details, nor ISP user name and password.

Seems idiotic but does the problem have anything to do with the default IP address of the router? PN's and the Billions used 192.168.1.254.

~~~~\o/~~~~   

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »

admin 1234 doesn't work, neither what i think are supervisor details, nor ISP user name and password.

Seems idiotic but does the problem have anything to do with the default IP address of the router? PN's and the Billions used 192.168.1.254.

~~~~\o/~~~~

The default IP for the Zyxel GUI is 192.168.1.1.
If you can't get in on the default password then the previous user has likely changed it.
Pin-hole reset should fix that - hold pin-hole switch in for about 10 secs until the front lights flash and then release (it should be fully booted before you do this).

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »

I re-set as advised, with admin and password 1234, which I then changed, when the dialog box showed. Following that I set time and other options in the maintenance section. Finally I saved the revised configuration.

Wife had made afternoon cuppa, so I left for ~30 mins. On return what appeared to be the initial log in screen was showing. I entered admin and the revised password several times. It was rejected.

Going through the ops in para one I noticed, but didn't record there were two names, admin and user with allocated passwords. The user's included zy in the string, obvipusly the default.
is that the one I should now use, if I can find what it is?
~~~~\o/~~~~
~~~~\o/~~~~

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »

That's rather odd.
Are you sure it has actually saved the changed password ie have you retried admin/1234 ?

The other user you have seen will be zyuser and is a restricted access account. I'm not aware of anyone actually ever using it.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »

I am still having problems. Once more I changed the password, then also the routers address too. I went through all the config options, changed the ISP log etc, and I thought I had successfully installed the ZyXEL wireless connection. I showed in available networks, but in adapter options was Xd out. All that showed in wireless available networks, other than nearby connections, was 'connection' otherwise un-detailed.

Back to the PN router! What the dickens am I mucking up? Anyways, on my next attempts I shall keep to default password and router IP address for starters.

Please  give. friends, further advice and assistance.

Two queries:
the DNS page offers options. of which one I am not acquainted-ISP to set. My connection is dynamic. Which is my proper option?

With the Billions default IGMP sleuthing was set to blocking mode, but ZyXEL to standard. If relevant at all to me, sole user, what should it be?

Off now to a rehearsal! Have to something to get away from routers! :'(

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »

I think you might be trying to set-up too much all at once if that makes sense.
I'd return the router to it's default settings and then go through Kitz's setup guide to get a basic internet connection working first.
I always do this via a wired connection, but you can use wireless (at this point the wireless SSID and password will be as per the label on the back of the router).
Once you have the connection working then you can start looking at changing the wireless settings etc.
If you are currently using a Plus Net router then you shouldn't really need to change anything else at this point. You might need to change the IGMP settings if you are using Youview, but I think there is info on the forum about that too (I don't use my setup for TV streaming).

Adco

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »

Just a thought. You may wish to try a different browser when configuring via the web interface. I've had to use Internet Explorer in the past as commands sent via Firefox sometimes don't stick. I think that Kitz has mentioned this in the past. :fingers:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »

In my case it's Chrome I prefer.

As to IGMP snooping settings and streaming, I do sometimes watch on demand programs through IPlayer et al via my Humax Freesat PVR.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »

IPlayer won't be a problem with the default settings. It's if you wish to watch the Youview streaming (subscription) channels that you'll need to delve into the IGMP settings.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »

i'm really struggling. No quick set up is seen and screens seem different from what is in Kitz's guide. See attachments.

The router was one issued by John Lewis ISP, and the firmware is Version: 1.00(AAKL.10)C0_10)151008, whereas the latest is version 28 issued this year.
Could either or both be the cause of my difficulties?
con'd

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

more attachments

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »

That is a pretty old version of the firmware - you could update it, but I don't think you'll get any different screens by doing so.
The screens you have posted really don't need touching until you've got the basic VDSL connection up and running, and that is done by selecting 'Network Setting' and then 'Broadband'.  The screen should then look like Kitz's guide.
My 8924 was also a John Lewis one and had the appropriate screen for basic setup so it shouldn't be that stopping you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything