Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone home broadband DNS problem  (Read 5950 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Vodafone home broadband DNS problem
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »

Apparently there is a problem for vodafones home broadband users.

It seems to be a DNS problem. Here is a solution;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8297-problems-and-solution-for-vodafone-home-broadband-customers

The solution: Switching to an alternate DNS provider works around the problem, different DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are both run by Google. Alternatively visit use.opendns.com which has details of their servers and instructions for most operating systems, you can reach the opendns instructions via its IPv4 address http://208.69.38.205
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Vodafone home broadband DNS problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:09 AM »

Why didn't they include Cloudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1) in the suggestions?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »

I had trouble with Vodafone's DNS servers shortly after I contracted with them, almost a year ago. I haven't used them since, and currently use Quad9.

I haven't noticed any problems today!  :D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »

In general, Are the likes of Googles, Clouflare or Quad9 much better than the ISP supplied DNS? I've just been obtaining automatically from Zen.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 01:46:12 PM »

I only ever used the ISP's DNS until I had problems with the Vodafone ones. I use Quad9 because I prefer not to use Goggle, and to give some measure of protection from rogue websites, but I wouldn't say they are 'better' than any other. I think it's a bit like cars - no particular one is inherently better than another, but they all have different characteristics.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »

I remember years back I always used OpenDNS (Can't even remember why) but since switching to FTTC, I just never bothered so I just thought it may be worth asking.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »

One can measure the round-trip time to the nearest DNS server operated by service whoever. If someone has done a good job setting up lots of relevant anycast-routed DNS servers then they might compete with your ISP if the ISP’s servers are seriously overloaded. Your ISP is difficult to beat because of proximity but if they try their hardest to make their servers rubbish then there is a chance for third party services. I have tried OpenDNS and had good results.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »

I did read about a little program called DNS benchmark that tests the top 75 DNS servers and has the function to add your ISPs I to the mix for a further test to see how they fair against the popular ones.

anything