Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC iPlayer adult  (Read 1415 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BBC iPlayer adult
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:23:03 AM »

I have just been taking a look at the BBC iPlayer iOS app. I saw a question ‘I am over 16’ or 18 or some such in settings. I see that there is a feature to permit a parental control passcode to be set. (Not very well thought-out, as junior could easily get in there first. The BBC has not yet heard of something called ‘lying’, or am I missing something ?)

My question: Can one watch ‘adult’ programmes anyway, even without bothering with these settings? I don’t want to have to be entering a passcode all the time, it would be an annoyance.

Pangur Bàn and Somhairle are the only underage viewers in the house, and they are only interested in (i) wildlife programmes on TV, (ii) special cat games on the iPad with animated butterflies and mice and (iii) snooker on TV as long as it is not tactical play with lots of snookers. It has to be potting action. Horror: Pangur Bàn fled when an eagle appeared on the tv but that programme would probably not be marked ‘guidance’. Otherwise anything that has the name ‘Attenborough’ associated with it is likely to be a hit.

I think the ITV iOS app has a similar parental controls thing.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BBC iPlayer adult
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:06:48 AM »

It basically a tick box exercise so they can say yes we have parental controls. No different to websites that ask your date of birth to prove your old enough, I usually enter the earliest date  :lol:

Even if they asked for credit card details there's nothing to stop a child using a parents card without their knowledge. What it really needs is an Email /mobile phone number registered against your national insurance number then that can be used for verification, although still not infallible or without problems.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »

I always put my date of birth as April 1. When asked these iditiotic questions for password recovery, it annoys me like mad when stupid assumptions are made about me being either American or urban or both, like ‘city’, ‘street’, ‘state’ and of course ‘zip code’. I grew up on a farm. It did not have ‘a number’ and it was not on a ‘street’, nor was it in a ‘city’. The password recovery questions - which are sometimes forced upon us - are somehow deeply annoying too.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »

whilst your farm may not have had a number or street, it most certainly would have a town/city designation as part of the royal mail offiicial address.
and i'm sure you can translate zipcode as being postcode. or do you just like being purposely awkward?

and password recovery question are "deeply annoyng"? seriously? so how would you prefer to have a secure method of password recovery? the honour system of asking if you really are the person in question?

anything