Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Plusnet Broadband issues  (Read 11440 times)

guest_10

Plusnet Broadband issues
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:48:46 PM »

Hi all

We recently switched over to PlusNet Fibre from BT Infinity and since that point had nothing but problems and have no clue what the issue is. I'm not an expert on things, but I know a little bit. So I'll try to give as much info as possible.

ISP: Plusnet
Master Socket: NTE5C with VDSL faceplate (This was installed recently by the openreach engineer when the problems started prior to this it was the old master socket with a mk 3 faceplate)
Modem Router: Formerly Plusnet One now changed back to the BT Smart Hub 6.
Cabinet: Huawei
Home Set-Up: Multiple devices wired to a Switch and 2 x Linksys RE6500 access points wired via CAT 6 to the router.

Prior to switching over to Plusnet we had BT and didn't have any issues with broadband speed at all. I tested the line pretty regularly using speedtest and I would get pretty similar speeds using a CAT 6 or wireless on both bands. Wireless test was always done in the room where the router or access points were. Didn't experience any noticeable issues.

Since switching over to Plusnet, the problems kicked in with slow internet speeds and regular dropouts. Currently getting speeds of around 5 - 6 meg on the laptop via WiFi sitting in the same room as the router.

Reported it to Plusnet and they said they couldn't see the dropouts on their side, sent out an engineer, who switched out the master socket to NTE5C and tidied up something in the junction box and ran all the tests he could. No problems on the line from the cabinet to the property. His tests were showing that 68meg was coming through the master socket. When the router got plugged in and did the test again, the speed dropped 10meg which the engineer thought was strange but it was still above the point of sale rate, so he couldn't do anything more. His view was that if there are issues, it's either the router or Plusnets equipment at the exchange.

Unfortunately, even after the engineer visit, there are still ridiculously low speeds and regular disconnects.

Called up plusnet today and whilst on the phone to them switched the plusnet router to the old BT Smart Hub 6. Did a test and I'm getting the same Wifi speeds I was with the Plusnet router of 5 meg with the laptop less than 2 metres from the router. In the position when the ISP was BT I was getting over 60meg.

Can anyone explain what on earth is happening with my broadband. I'm considering getting a Huawei Openreach modem and third party router, but don't think that its going to do anything to improve the situation given switching back to the BT router didn't do anything.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

K

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Plusnet Broadband issues
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »

Would you be able to get us some line stats from either the Hub One or the Smarthub please.
I think they are available under the Advanced section somewhere (Troubleshooting/Helpdesk??) and will show connection speed, SNR figures and line attenuation etc.
 :)

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »

Not sure what those access points support, but could you check they are set to N or Ac not B/G I’d be suspicious that the issue is within your network. Alternatively try a speed test with a wired connection, if possible.

guest_10

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »

I've disconnected the old plusnet one, so will there even be any line stats on that. As for the BT one I only connected it today, so will there be any useful data on there. I will copy what's there in any case.

The two access points are the Linksys RE6500. The settings for the WiFi on them haven't changed since I originally set them up. They are dual band and the band is split. I get the same low speeds from them as I do from the main router. The problem is not the internal network. The access points are wired to the main router via CAT 6 and the wired speeds I get are consistent when testing. The problem is even the devices which are wired to the router, switch and access points all lose connection to the internet. If it was just a WiFi issue then my wired devices wouldn't experience the connection loss they do.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 10:51:00 PM »

Are the low speeds on ethernet as well?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:02:53 PM »

Are the low speeds on ethernet as well?

Hmm . . . Surely K360 has already answered that query in his very last sentence --

If it was just a WiFi issue then my wired devices wouldn't experience the connection loss they do.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

guest_10

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »

To clarify when I'm using a wired connection the speeds are around the 58 meg mark and thats whether I'm wired into the router, switch or access points. The problem as I said is the wired devices still lose internet.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 03:48:43 AM »

His tests were showing that 68meg was coming through the master socket. When the router got plugged in and did the test again, the speed dropped 10meg which the engineer thought was strange but it was still above the point of sale rate,

Bit puzzled by that remark - to clarify did the speed drop to 10Mbps or drop from 68Mbps to 58Mbps.

In your fault ticket, plusnet often paste a copy of any GEA tests they have run.   Do you have any that you can let us see (make sure you remove any personal info such as tel no)
If the line is dropping out then it will show on Plusnets RADIUS report.

May be worthwhile asking if they will run a fresh GEA test and let you have a copy of their RADIUS log.   They are one of the very few ISPs who will provide this info if you ask nicely.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »

So the speed issues look like they wifi related then. (other than the 10mbps drop)

The disconnect issues will probably need to diagnose via modem stats.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 10:49:42 AM »

When you have a drop out on the wired connection have you tried pinging IP addresses? First you should check the routers's IP and then something on the internet (e.g. 8.8.8.8 which is Google's DNS server).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

guest_10

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »

Still not had a chance to get the line stats apologies will try to get them tonight.

The 10meg drop I mentioned relates to the drop after the speed is coming out of the router. So when the engineer tested the speed direct in the master socket, the reading was 68meg, when he tested the speed with the router connected the speed was was 58 meg ergo a 10meg drop. This is puzzling but because it is above the contracted/point of sale rate of 48meg or something there isn't anything that can be done or there are no grounds on which to complain to plusnet.

Plusnet have said there is nothing of note within the tests they have done on their side and everything seems normal.

Yes the speed issues are definitely WiFi related which makes no sense because there were never speed issues when the ISP was BT. The WiFi speed issues aren't because of the router because they occur on the Plusnet Router and the BT Router that I've put back in the other day. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with WiFi signal because the problem occurs whether I'm 2 metres from the source or 10 metres from the source (which I never am). My best guess it is plusnet throttling the connection somehow and it only affects the WiFi because we are a high usage household.

As for the dropouts, I've not done any ping tests, so I will set some off over the course of a few days using both a cable and the wifi.

Thanks for the responses so far.

guest_10

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »

Hi

So finally got a chance to get the line stats. Not sure how much info is necessary. So I have attached notepad files. There's 3 sets of logs. BT Home Hub and then the two access points. The two access points will have logs from the plusnet router that I switched out as well. I switched the plusnet router for the BT one the date this thread originally started. The event log from the BT router seems to be too large to attach. Do I need to filter the BT log in some way?

The line stats are below:

Product name:
BT Hub 6A

Serial number:
+084316+NQ70217441

Firmware version:
SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:
14-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
5 Days, 8 Hours 15 Minutes 0 Seconds

Data rate:
14.39 Mbps / 63.27 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
14391 / 65552

Noise margin:
6.4 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:
18.3 dB

Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

guest_10

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 09:47:11 PM »

Any help on this one?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »

I can't see anything obvious . . . perhaps others may spot something.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »

Hmm . . . Surely K360 has already answered that query in his very last sentence --

Come on BC, a disconnection is different from slow speed  :P

@K360 You need to be careful your not muddying the waters by how you are testing and explaining things.

First of all if you suspect poor supply speed then ONLY  test via a wired connection, using Wi-Fi  will complicate things, and leave it open for the ISP to blame your WiFi no matter how sure you are that it's OK. Concentrate on one problem at a time, thus isolating things.

So plug the modem/router directly into the test socket on the master socket, turn off Wi-Fi, disconnect any network cables, turn off WiFi on your laptop and connect it via a network cable. So now you have only the laptop connected you can run speed tests, but make sure nothing on the laptop is downloading or uploading as this will affect the results.

The logs /stats we need to see are what the modems connecting at, not access point logs.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5