Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Now got a dsl Lantiq (Infineon) CAB line. Now what modem/router to buy  (Read 2906 times)

grapevine1

• Just arrived

Hi, In 2006 I had to fight the good fight on a very long line to get an ADSL broadband service of a sort, on which only one router would perform, a little up to 4Mbps at best. VWL routerstats was used feeding a small laptop with its internal battery floated off the mains.

Now, I have a residence, admitted, there would be, and is, FTTC but it is from a CAB installed in 2012 and I guess from its measurement and the photographs on this site ECI enabled (NOT Huawei) with some 600 meters of copper line to the house.
Obviously I shall require to monitor the line with DSLstats or whatever with possibly a Rasberry Pi or otherwise.
But What Modem and router or modem router should I fit from the knowledge from others on site.
I dont mind seperates but maybe I will have to bridge it, it would be good to switch off the 12volts to the WiFi unit when not required. All security etc is also with its own floated 12v DC supplies as is internal and external LED lighting also powered from roof solar panels.
Suggestions please.
The line states from the new HHUBOne in 4 days are from the TBB line tester, down ave 31.4Mbps, up ave 4.8Mbps (not yet finished training).
Now I want an unlocked modem-router set up that will feed my Gigabyte switch that is cabled CAT6 to all rooms in a fan.
The router modem will be fed from a power supply (PSU) floating a 12v sealed lead acid battery so no mains glitches or failures will cause the supply to drop as I had fitted before.
What from experience is in use from such CAB, that does not keep loosing sync or simply drop out or fall over the proverbial cliff, and in your practical experience function 24/7.
In my thoughts was a TP Link AC1900 VR900V2, or the new V3, the V2 (Dont confuse with the white coloured 900v2 model by TPLink) has a good dual band WiFi and we intend to use our 3G/4G smartphones for any calls when in the property there is little or no Mob signal inside or on the ground floor, outside there is signal front rear and sides.  (Oh and if the landline goes down we can teather our phones with more than 30Gig each of data allowance to the laptop or desktop.) THE REASON FOR THE ABOVE THAT THE CAB APPEARS TO BE LANTIQ PROCESSOR NOT A BROADCOM UNLESS IT HAS BEEN CHANGED SICE ORIGINAL INSTALATION SO WHAT MODEM ETC TO FIT KNOWING IT MIGHT NOT BE BROADCOM CAB ALSO THE LOCKED HHUBONE IS IT APPEARS A LANTIQ CHIPSET FROM THE INFO THAT I HAVE VIEWED
Thanks & BW grapevine1
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:31:30 PM by grapevine1 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Now got a dsl Lantiq (Infineon) CAB line. Now what modem/router to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:59 PM »

I think you are trying to say you are on an ECI cab using a Plusnet HubOne (HHub 1 is by BT & for adsl only).
.. and you want an unlocked modem/router which will work with DSLstats and be stable on the line, and also easy to switch off the WLAN?

In that case avoid TP-Link as they use their own custom CLI (opposed to the standard BCM CLI) which has limited statistics available out of the box & therefore won't work with DSLstats.  You are best reading this thread on how to get more info from the TP-Links - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14377.msg353335.html#msg353335

Unfortunately the modems we usually recommend for stability do not always have the best wifi range (and vice versa!) so you may well have to bridge a modem and a decent wireless router...  but even if you do that, you wont just be able to just switch the router off as you'd still need the router for PPP internet for the wired LAN.

Probably the best combined unit to do all that you want is the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A *, but others may have further suggestions if you do decide to bridge.

---
* It has easy access button to switch the WLAN on/off   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grapevine1

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:13 AM »

Hi KITZ

From the photos and dimensions on this site I sure believe I am on an old? ECI CAB.
The HUB One has just been supplied by plusnet is for ADSL off the twisted copper from FTTC some 650 metres away

FROM THE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCED MEMBERS OF THIS SITE I was hoping for a list of units to acquire
(1) an unlocked modem and /or Router suggest name and model and firmware
(2) The TP Link vr900v2 does appear to have a good dual channel WiFi so I thro that in in hope to drag out suggestions and bring out what you have stated in your comments about TP Link which as you say limited Statistics.
I agree that Modems with the best WiFi do not in the main have the best stability so as I say my answer is to bridge and I had forgotten that as you say the router is required for PPP internet for the wired LAN

The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A I have been considering but the numbering and VOIP is mentioned in some adds etc so is it all in all those boxed as Zyxel VMG8924-B10A.What I wonder is the difference between the 8324 whiat is the comparison in the large posing page on this site and 8924

I would consider bringing out the WiFi switch terminals to a relay or semiconductor swtch once I see how the switch is configuated. So I can switch with a self constructed remote signal on/off
I have to say that the Zyxel units do appear to be that much more complex to set up if you are as Technically rusty as me.

Finally I also hope to find out which Rasberry hardware is best , 3+, one or whatever to set up for DSLStats The Pi has advanced so much in recent years with so much kit, screen and all, to plug into a package.

Thank you for all your time and effort in your reply Kitz (we last personally met in approx 2006 to 8 in Shefield.Its a joy to not now require a DG834V3 the only router I could get a stable line from with the long line I had til last month.)
BW
grapevine1

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »

What I wonder is the difference between the 8324 . . . and 8924

The ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A and VMG8324-B10A are based on an identical design. The only difference is that the VMG8924-B10A uses both the 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz WiFi bands whilst the VMG8324-B10A just uses the 2.4 GHz WiFi band.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:27:23 AM »

Just a correction it's not ADSL from the FTTC cabinet but VDSL2.
VDSL2 Profile 17a

The Zyxel VMG8324-B10A only has 2.4Ghz WiFi.
The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A also has 5Ghz AC WiFi
That's the only difference.

They all come with VOIP ports but they don't need to be used.
The 8924 would be my recommendation for an all in one unit.

The members on this site myself included would be more than happy to help guide you through the setup. It's pretty simple.

edit: the black cats paws of burakkucat beat my slow fingers.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 12:35:44 AM »

There is only one type of ECI DSLAM but several Huawei's.   
The cab size for the Huawei MA5616 is quite similar to the ECI.   The easiest way to identify is the air vent grill.

>> The HUB One has just been supplied by plusnet

I was making an assumption that it was the Plusnet Hub One for the clarification of others - your post said HHub One - which I didn't think it could be as that is by BT and for adsl.... whilst if you are on FTTC its VDSL2

>> I wonder is the difference between the VMG8324-B10A & VMG8924-B10A

They are both practically the same except for the wireless specs.   
The VMG8924 has dual band 802.11ac 5GHz whilst the VMG8324 is only 802.11n 2.4GHz

>>> I would consider bringing out the WiFi switch terminals to a relay or semiconductor swtch once I see how the switch is configuated.

Not sure if that can be done..  its simply a button on the back of the router

----
ETA

Beaten by both b*cat and J0hn whilst I was searching for an image of the wifi button
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 01:25:53 AM »

>>> I would consider bringing out the WiFi switch terminals to a relay or semiconductor swtch once I see how the switch is configuated.

Not sure if that can be done..  its simply a button on the back of the router

Was thinking further on this, and note you said remote.   You could easily also use the web gui to turn on/off wifi too.

I have to say that the Zyxel units do appear to be that much more complex to set up if you are as Technically rusty as me.
The GUI perhaps more overwhelming rather than complex.    Most routers give very little configuration options so the average home user is perhaps not used to seeing so many options.   
The Zyxel's GUI was originally designed for a small/med business grade router and I love how they have left all these options available in what is a (high end) consumer grade modem/router.

I agree that Modems with the best WiFi do not in the main have the best stability
There are better wifi (and more expensive) routers out there, but TBH the 8924 isn't bad... it's just not the latest and greatest.

When it comes to modem stability then usually the Zyxel VMGxxxx B10-A variants win hands down.  They have an additional inbuilt noise filter not found in most other modem/routers.

Was thinking - you could always try it as an all in one and if the wifi isn't up to scratch, then no big deal  - turn it into a bridged modem and get a separate wifi router.   
We often recommend an 8324 for modem bridging.  The only reason we recommend the 8324 for bridging is the better wifi in the 8924 is surplus to requirements.

Depending on layout of house and any blackspots you could even use the VMG8924 as an all-in-one unit with a wireless extender .....  the thought of which leads me to another option.   

I believe you said you had a Gb switch with star LAN to most rooms.   How about perhaps using an 8324/8924 to be the main modem/router but permanently turn off its wifi..  you could then use another router to do the wireless routing only (this is not the same as modem bridging - its actually easier).   You could then use a smart switch plug to remotely that on or off.

J0hn/anyone else?   Is it possible to convert the PN HubOne to do this with the Zyxel to save buying yet another piece of kit?   I'm not familiar with the PN HubOnes capabilities and config options :(
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 01:34:50 AM »

I believe you said you had a Gb switch with star LAN to most rooms.   How about perhaps using an 8324/8924 to be the main modem/router but permanently turn off its wifi..  you could then use another router to do the wireless routing only (this is not the same as modem bridging - its actually easier).   You could then use a smart switch plug to remotely that on or off.

J0hn/anyone else?   Is it possible to convert the PN HubOne to do this to save buying yet another piece of kit?   I'm not familiar with its capabilities and config options :(

Assuming the DHCP server in the PN HubOne could be turned off and its own IP address configured not to clash (but in the same sub-net as the master modem/router), then I can see no reason why it could not be used as a WAP . . . just as you have described, above.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 02:01:07 AM »

then I can see no reason why it could not be used as a WAP

Indeed.  As we are building a better picture of the OP's requirements, I'm beginning to think a WAP may be more what he's needing rather than modem bridging.

The PN HubOne (based on the HH5A) is supposedly decent wifi, but not the best modem or router.  So let a Zyxel do all the modem and routing and convert the PN HubOne into a WAP.   Unfortunately I've never had a PN HubOne so don't know if it has those options available in the GUI.

Would also need confirmation from the OP that his intention is that WLAN (wifi) can be remotely controlled independently of the modem & LAN...  as opposed to bridging which is when the DSL connection is separate to the LAN & WLAN.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 02:13:02 AM »

Finally I also hope to find out which Rasberry hardware is best , 3+, one or whatever to set up for DSLStats The Pi has advanced so much in recent years with so much kit, screen and all, to plug into a package.

Best asking that question separately in the RPi section here and keep this thread just to the DSL hardware side or things may start to get confusing.   
Quite of few of the regs use RPi's with DSLstats so I'm sure they will advise you accordingly.   
-----

anything