Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: 4G again  (Read 18654 times)

IBeAdam

Re: 4G again
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »

I think its assumed by such devices that the VPN is for security so not including port forwarding on it kinda makes sense.  Honestly, I was surprised to see they supported a VPN at all.

I can't remember how I did the L2TP but I assume port forwarding would work, as its available on ANY interface on pfSense.  If you have a spare PC or know how to setup a VM, you could always play with pfSense before buying any dedicated hardware for it.
Thanks Alex.

I do like the B535 as it gives a good stable connection, so would rather keep it. I do have an Unraid box and there is a good tutorial on setting up pfsense on it. I just need a £15 network card which I’ve seen on ebay. It’s pretty disruptive to the rest of the family though so i haven't decided if to go down that route or just risk it based on what I’ve read about pfsense and go straight for a dedicated box.

IBeAdam

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2021, 11:01:51 PM »

An update....

Found an old Microserver. Installed pfsense. Put Huawei in to bridge mode. Internet just worked. Set up L2TP client on pfsense. Set routing default to use it. External IP address as if by magic.

It might not look pretty, but does at least work.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2021, 01:02:21 AM »

Oh that's lucky, no bridge mode on my B535-232 although its not a big deal as its mostly a backup for my VDSL and I do sometimes connect to its WiFi to test access my local VPN from outside the LAN.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

IBeAdam

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »

Oh that's lucky, no bridge mode on my B535-232 although its not a big deal as its mostly a backup for my VDSL and I do sometimes connect to its WiFi to test access my local VPN from outside the LAN.
Mine has been working well in NAT mode and would probably port forward fine if it wasn’t for the VPN requirement. I know Three is able to give a proper external IP but EE was far quicker here.

Unfortunately my FTTC was terrible. 26/2 with random daily drops. It took Openreach 8 months to bother to track it down, with multiple ISP getting me to jump through multiple hoops and spend a fair sum on replacement routers, cables, filters etc efc. Once they did find the fault (degraded cable up pole outside) they refused to fix it as apparently not bad enough. So I finally ditched them and went 4G only, averaging 50/30 with zero drops.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2021, 08:06:55 PM »

Using the Google Maps measure distance feature I make it 3.66 miles / 5.9KM

I've always got good reception on my Three mobile at work, until today I thought it was one of the local cell towers, but I've recently installed cell mapper on my phone and discovered I'm actually connecting to a cell tower that is 4.48 miles away from my first floor office window, I do have an uninterrupted line of sight to this cell tower.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/6948732359

That's a 0.8 of mile further than Weaver's hut is from his cell tower across the valley, so if you have a window looking towards that cell tower, I suggest you grab a Huawei B818 and give it a go.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2021, 12:51:27 AM »

Thank you for an excellent tip! I will need to do some work one getting a correct altered configuration to work here as I would presumably be connecting this unit by ethernet not by USB, and I may have to face the problem of tunnelling to get round NAT if the unit is always a router not a modem and with NAT that can’t be switched off.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »

Re0 said earlier in this thread that he thought that mast didn't have Three 4G, but looking on cellmapper it looks like it does, and I know you mentioned previously that Janet receives 4G so you must have a network on 4G. It may be worth installing the cell mapper app on a mobile and checking that you can get 4G from that mast.

The B818 does have bridge mode - I've seen it in the settings menu myself but haven't tested yet, and yes it's ethernet.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:29:53 AM by Ronski »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2021, 10:24:42 PM »

My iPad reports 4G received from that basestation.

> The B818 does have bridge mode - I've seen it in the settings menu myself but haven't tested yet, and yes it's ethernet.

Wow, thank you. That’s really good to know. I will certainly be investigating this when I have some spare cash.

If I can get one, I might ask AA if I can send it to them for evaluation, so they could help me with Firebrick config and, maybe if I ask really nicely, with a few suggestions as to B818 internal config itself.

I need a recap; can’t seem to find the full product name. Is this the right unit ? - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/huawei-b818-263.36602/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:33:17 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:46 PM »

If I can get one, I might ask AA if I can send it to them for evaluation, so they could help me with Firebrick config and, maybe if I ask really nicely, with a few suggestions as to B818 internal config itself.

That's a good idea.

I need a recap; can’t seem to find the full product name. Is this the right unit ? - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/huawei-b818-263.36602/

Yes, I believe Huawei B818-263 is correct.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6AgJLce0Wc[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:52:02 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2021, 06:24:40 AM »

Yes that's the one, I got a refurbed one from efones, looks brand new to me. It also has two external aerial connection points, but by all accounts the internal attennas are excellent.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2021, 06:25:16 AM »

Thank you.

The difficulty I would have without AA help is that a 3G/4G USB NIC works with an inbuilt auto-switchover facility where the Firebrick 2700/2900 will reroute to use the USB NIC when all the DSL lines go down; that’s built-in behaviour. With any other type of link, I would have to configure such behaviour myself, probably using ‘profiles’ I think ie. Firebrick conditional config, where some config becomes active when certain named conditions become true/false. But I think I can see how to do it or at least some of the way.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »

Yes, via A&A would be your best route. As you know, I don't speak Firebrick and the "mobile broadband" concept (i.e. a connection to the Internet via a mobile telephone service) is not something I really understand.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2021, 02:32:06 AM »

Well I'm grumpy now.  I finally reached the end of my Three contract and cancelled, put the SIM into my phone to test Voxi in the B535-232 and got 100Mbit off Three on my phone.

Put the SIM back into the B535-232 and its doing 60-70Mbit.

Yet real-world usage I'm still struggling to get over 30Mbit.

Firstly, is the B535-232 a piece of junk?
Secondly, are Three taking the pee and prioritising speedtest.net servers?  This rather suggests they have a ton of spare bandwidth they are deliberately throttling back.

The strange thing is, I could have sworn I got 100Mbit once or twice on Three using the B535-232 when I first got it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:40:20 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2021, 06:21:25 AM »

One thing I've read recently is phones usually have better antennas 4x4 instead of 2x2, and often more capable modems.

As you know my B818 occasionally hits around 200, but the average is 96.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2021, 03:24:49 PM »

One thing I've read recently is phones usually have better antennas 4x4 instead of 2x2, and often more capable modems.

As you know my B818 occasionally hits around 200, but the average is 96.

That's a good point, I think the S10 does have 4x4 which is insane.

The good news is I just got 100Mbit on Voxi on my phone too, at lunch time.  At that point Three had dropped back down to 30Mbit.  So I think Voxi being more expensive, a closer mast (so having less MIMO will hopefully not matter as much) and a monthly contract, may be worth it after all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything