Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 4G again  (Read 8898 times)

IBeAdam

Re: 4G again
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »

I think its assumed by such devices that the VPN is for security so not including port forwarding on it kinda makes sense.  Honestly, I was surprised to see they supported a VPN at all.

I can't remember how I did the L2TP but I assume port forwarding would work, as its available on ANY interface on pfSense.  If you have a spare PC or know how to setup a VM, you could always play with pfSense before buying any dedicated hardware for it.
Thanks Alex.

I do like the B535 as it gives a good stable connection, so would rather keep it. I do have an Unraid box and there is a good tutorial on setting up pfsense on it. I just need a £15 network card which Iíve seen on ebay. Itís pretty disruptive to the rest of the family though so i haven't decided if to go down that route or just risk it based on what Iíve read about pfsense and go straight for a dedicated box.

IBeAdam

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2021, 11:01:51 PM »

An update....

Found an old Microserver. Installed pfsense. Put Huawei in to bridge mode. Internet just worked. Set up L2TP client on pfsense. Set routing default to use it. External IP address as if by magic.

It might not look pretty, but does at least work.

Alex Atkin UK

• Kitizen
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2021, 01:02:21 AM »

Oh that's lucky, no bridge mode on my B535-232 although its not a big deal as its mostly a backup for my VDSL and I do sometimes connect to its WiFi to test access my local VPN from outside the LAN.
INTAKE (ECI) Zen: Home Hub 5A OpenWrt Plusnet: VMG-3925-B10B Three 4G: Hauwei B535-232 Router: pfSense (i5-7200U) WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD
Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

IBeAdam

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »

Oh that's lucky, no bridge mode on my B535-232 although its not a big deal as its mostly a backup for my VDSL and I do sometimes connect to its WiFi to test access my local VPN from outside the LAN.
Mine has been working well in NAT mode and would probably port forward fine if it wasnít for the VPN requirement. I know Three is able to give a proper external IP but EE was far quicker here.

Unfortunately my FTTC was terrible. 26/2 with random daily drops. It took Openreach 8 months to bother to track it down, with multiple ISP getting me to jump through multiple hoops and spend a fair sum on replacement routers, cables, filters etc efc. Once they did find the fault (degraded cable up pole outside) they refused to fix it as apparently not bad enough. So I finally ditched them and went 4G only, averaging 50/30 with zero drops.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2021, 08:06:55 PM »

Using the Google Maps measure distance feature I make it 3.66 miles / 5.9KM

I've always got good reception on my Three mobile at work, until today I thought it was one of the local cell towers, but I've recently installed cell mapper on my phone and discovered I'm actually connecting to a cell tower that is 4.48 miles away from my first floor office window, I do have an uninterrupted line of sight to this cell tower.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/6948732359

That's a 0.8 of mile further than Weaver's hut is from his cell tower across the valley, so if you have a window looking towards that cell tower, I suggest you grab a Huawei B818 and give it a go.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 ◊ 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
« Reply #65 on: Today at 12:51:27 AM »

Thank you for an excellent tip! I will need to do some work one getting a correct altered configuration to work here as I would presumably be connecting this unit by ethernet not by USB, and I may have to face the problem of tunnelling to get round NAT if the unit is always a router not a modem and with NAT that canít be switched off.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: Today at 06:12:17 AM »

Re0 said earlier in this thread that he thought that mast didn't have Three 4G, but looking on cellmapper it looks like it does, and I know you mentioned previously that Janet receives 4G so you must have a network on 4G. It may be worth installing the cell mapper app on a mobile and checking that you can get 4G from that mast.

The B818 does have bridge mode - I've seen it in the settings menu myself but haven't tested yet, and yes it's ethernet.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:29:53 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything