Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 4G again  (Read 18653 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: 4G again
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 07:43:31 AM »

If you're referring to the LHG LTE kit (RBLHGR&R11e-LTE) which I linked to above then it certainly looks directional and the specs stat a beam width of 25 degrees.

It would be best to email Mikrotik to check it can do what you need.

If you post the location of the cell tower I can measure the distance for you.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 10:30:24 PM »

I looked up the basestation that is to the east of me on mastadata, tried to roughly measure the distance with the freemaptools but due to exhaustion and fuzziness I couldn’t work out how to feed the lat/long cords obtained from the former into the latter.

The basestation is on the east side of the main road, across the valley looking eastwards from the height which is where I am at the very northernmost point of and thus highest point in Heasta.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:03 PM »

I'm not absolutely sure but . . .

IV43 8RA        57.192450,-5.812450
IV49 9BN        57.191480,-5.891450

I make the distance ~2.99 miles.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2019, 06:29:13 AM »

Using the Google Maps measure distance feature I make it 3.66 miles / 5.9KM

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »

Don't know how reliable it is but https://www.cellmapper.net seems to be quite good at finding where your towers are with technical details.  Start off by selecting United Kingdom - 3 from the drop down and zoom in to the area you are interested in.  Not really sure what the coloured areas mean perhaps coverage levels of the tower couldn't easily find a page that explained all the options.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2019, 01:50:08 PM »

That cellmapper site is an impressive tool. Rather different kind of thing and much more multifunctional.

The mastdata.com website gives you some useful info about base stations even just in for-free casual access mode. I have in the past signed up for a free trial account too, so then you get access to rather more info. No harm came from giving these people my email address.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »

The odd thing is that Cell Mapper doesn't show the Three site at kinloch where Mast Data does.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »

I realise that I was working from incorrect coordinates.  :-[

IV43 8RA        57.204590,-5.796770
IV49 9BN        57.191180,-5.891450

I now make the distance ~3.67 miles, agreeing with Ronski.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »

The odd thing is that Cell Mapper doesn't show the Three site at kinloch where Mast Data does.
Thanks for this information may be good to combine both sites.  I know the masts listed near me were showing recent updated dates so some useful information may be present.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »

I did try AA L2TP with the Three service myself a few days ago.

Now I suspect my cell may have issues as I've seen ping spikes to 2000ms and lots of packet loss under even slight load at times.  Adding AA L2TP on top, it halved my speed.

I'm really not convinced 4G is stable enough for UDP traffic unless you are lucky to live right next to a tower with hardly any active users.

I currently load balance between VDSL and Three on a couple of PCs.  At worst I get timeouts, speedtests fail.  At best I've hit 115Mbit combined, my VDSL alone is 66Mbit.  So its about as variable as you might expect.  Sadly on average I'm getting ~15Mbit or worse from Three and downloads fail to complete all the time.

I couldn't bond the connections though as pfSense doesn't let you run L2TP over PPPoE, it only lists actual physical interfaces and in my use-case getting a Firebrick would be seriously overkill considering the tiny improvement, relative to my plain VDSL.  Its certainly good enough as a backup without the extra cost.

For basic web browsing mind you, it seems perfectly usable and potentially quite the upgrade over poor DSL.  I've just been totally spoilt with VDSL.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:33:36 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »

What hardware was used to talk to Three?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2019, 07:31:13 PM »

I do not know if you are still considering a Three 4G connection, but there is no evidence to suggest mast IV0104 even has 4G transmissions on Three, or actually more specifically anything other than LTE Band 20 (800 MHz, which Three "Super-Voice" uses... fancy term for VoLTE). Three's own checker shows 4G coverage for you only with 4G Super-Voice selected, otherwise nothing (well, besides 3G). Ofcom's mobile coverage checker (here) shows 4G data coverage for you but I imagine it is using 800 MHz unless, for some reason, Three's own coverage checker is somehow outdated or this is wrong.

Now, you can use Band 20 for data but be warned that you will not get speeds anywhere near that of what Band 3 (1800 MHz) can offer you. This is partly down to the fact Three is only using 5 MHz as opposed to 15 MHz with Band 3 (ignoring the fact it is a lower frequency). In my experience, even selecting 3G (which I presume is 2100 MHz, UTRA Band 1) on my B525 outperforms LTE Band 20 with double the downstream (the upstream is a bit less, but no more than about half). Using an external anetnna on the device, on LTE Band 3 I get anywhere from (DS/US) 45-65/16-20 Mbps mostly, with LTE Band 20 about 5-7/2-4 Mbps, and UTRA Band 1 about 12-18/2-3 Mbps.

I could be completely wrong about all this and just talking out of my arse, or my I am just an outlier when it comes to my experience. But I am literally just going on all the information I could source. In the case that this information is correct, there is a good chance you are better off using 3G UTRA Band 1 over 4G LTE Band 20. Only testing will tell you what is available and how well it works.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »

What hardware was used to talk to Three?

It was a little elaborate, Huawei E5573Bs-322 connected to OpenWRT router (used as an Access Point) bridging the USB ethernet to one of the ethernet ports, then that port plugged into my pfSense router.

I think the real problem is just how many houses there are between me and the Three transmitter.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

IBeAdam

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2020, 04:45:42 PM »

I did try AA L2TP with the Three service myself a few days ago.

Now I suspect my cell may have issues as I've seen ping spikes to 2000ms and lots of packet loss under even slight load at times.  Adding AA L2TP on top, it halved my speed.

I'm really not convinced 4G is stable enough for UDP traffic unless you are lucky to live right next to a tower with hardly any active users.

I currently load balance between VDSL and Three on a couple of PCs.  At worst I get timeouts, speedtests fail.  At best I've hit 115Mbit combined, my VDSL alone is 66Mbit.  So its about as variable as you might expect.  Sadly on average I'm getting ~15Mbit or worse from Three and downloads fail to complete all the time.

I couldn't bond the connections though as pfSense doesn't let you run L2TP over PPPoE, it only lists actual physical interfaces and in my use-case getting a Firebrick would be seriously overkill considering the tiny improvement, relative to my plain VDSL.  Its certainly good enough as a backup without the extra cost.

For basic web browsing mind you, it seems perfectly usable and potentially quite the upgrade over poor DSL.  I've just been totally spoilt with VDSL.
Old post, but I’m hoping you can help!

Currently using Huawei B535 for 4G (EE) and also the L2TP client from AAISP. DMZ on the B535 to Unifi USG which handles routing, NAT, DHCP, Firewall etc.

Unfortunately the B535 port forwarding isn’t working. Possibly a bug, possibly not supported on VPN traffic. Difficult to tell as very little in the way of debug.

I should be able to put in bridge mode and initiate the L2TP VPN on the Unifi USG but unfortunately the USG doesn’t support L2TP client!

Either i need a new 4G modem that can initiate a L2TP connection AND port forward it OR i need a router/firewall that can do the L2TP VPN client.

I though pfsense could do this. Am i right? The quoted post makes me wonder.

Alternatively does anyone know of a 4G router to replace the B535 that actually works as advertised?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2021, 02:39:05 AM »

Old post, but I’m hoping you can help!

Currently using Huawei B535 for 4G (EE) and also the L2TP client from AAISP. DMZ on the B535 to Unifi USG which handles routing, NAT, DHCP, Firewall etc.

Unfortunately the B535 port forwarding isn’t working. Possibly a bug, possibly not supported on VPN traffic. Difficult to tell as very little in the way of debug.

I should be able to put in bridge mode and initiate the L2TP VPN on the Unifi USG but unfortunately the USG doesn’t support L2TP client!

Either i need a new 4G modem that can initiate a L2TP connection AND port forward it OR i need a router/firewall that can do the L2TP VPN client.

I though pfsense could do this. Am i right? The quoted post makes me wonder.

Alternatively does anyone know of a 4G router to replace the B535 that actually works as advertised?

I think its assumed by such devices that the VPN is for security so not including port forwarding on it kinda makes sense.  Honestly, I was surprised to see they supported a VPN at all.

I can't remember how I did the L2TP but I assume port forwarding would work, as its available on ANY interface on pfSense.  If you have a spare PC or know how to setup a VM, you could always play with pfSense before buying any dedicated hardware for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6