Broadband Related > Mobile broadband

4G again

(1/16) > >>

Weaver:
Am going to seriously look into going 4G with an all-you-can-eat deal and combining that with DSL for resilience as mobile network does very occasionally disappear for a few days and dies when there are any mains power distribution problems and always after lightning strikes.

AA offered to research 4G modems for me. 4G dongles for the Firebrick present hassle with horrible setup and internal non-transparency - some are like a mixture of NIC and router as they can apparently interfere with the traffic and do NAT internally. If a horrid mobile ISP also does IPv4 carrier NAT themselves that could be double NAT. Anyway L2TP tunnelling would make all that crap go away and get IPv6 going.

AA themselves do a nice 4G/3G service but it’s way too expensive for heavy use, charged by the byte. It does nice static IPv4, but incredibly no IPv6, which is the fault of either Three or the intermediate service provider AQL, whom AA uses to link them to Three.

Weaver:
I don’t think it would be a very good idea to use an IPv4 router like the Solwise 4G-to-2.4GHz 802.11n router that I have and connect that to the Firebrick. I think there would be many difficulties if not using PPPoE and a modem into the Firebrick.

Question: if I used two 4G modems simultaneously and IP-bonded them using the usual AA+Firebrick technology, how would that do in terms of performance on the 4G network? I realise that the two would be contending with each other. I don’t know whether there are collisions or not. Would it be a way of greatly increasing throughput? At double the cost of course.

I get 8Mbps downstream and 2.8 Mbps upstream (presumably TCP payload figures?) reported by speedtester2.aa.net.uk with my iPad on 3G when in bed. This is right st the back of the east-facing bedroom. The base station itself is in clear view to the east when at the window. However lying here I am at the wrong angle and too low down. I would get 4G mode if I moved to a better position in the room. A modem used in the office with the Firebrick would get a superb view of the base station and would be in 4G mode. Not sure what speeds can be expected in 4G.

I have seen an all-you-can-eat 4G deal from Three. It is, I think, £27 per month for a data SIM which is incredible. I can’t be reading that right. That looks like the way to go.

Any thoughts?

I could use that together with DSL as a fallback.

Ronski:
We've been here before, giving loads of suggestions such as external aerials, if fact I suggested exactly what you are now proposing and you totally dismissed the idea rather abruptly.

My advice is keep it simple to start with and build on it from there.

Back in the Black Friday sales you could get that sim for £20 a month, Robertos on think broadband did away his VDSL and uses it instead I believe.

Here's what I get sat in bed https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/4574762663

Ronski:
Here is a link to that thread on TBB forums

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband/f/4606674-ive-just-signed-up-to-threes-sim-only-unlimited-everything.html?vc=1

underzone:
Maybe get one of those sims and put it in an old/spare IOS device and share the connection with wifi (tethering).

You can then put the IOS device wherever you get the best signal reception.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/three-all-you-can-eat-data-reviewed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version