Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Continuing lesser line #3 problems - noise - Request for read of stats  (Read 8311 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Continuing lesser line #3 problems - noise - Request for read of stats
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »

Yes, yes and yes.  :)

. . . by the Harrapul fank, . . .

Forgive my forgetfulness but is that location just past the cattle-grid, on the right-hand side of the road, when leaving the village?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 02:00:54 AM »

There are two fanks, it is confusing. Apart from the one right by my house (which is next to the cattle grid below me at the northern boundary of Heasta), there’s another one, the ‘Harrapul Fank’, a few miles north of me. That fank is near the northern end of the road a few hundred metres from the main road at a suburb called Harrapul. There was damage to the copper lines somewhere around there a few years ago, mentioned in a thread. It perhaps a bit further south than the Harrapul fank and there was more damage further south still, south of where the stream Allt a’ Choire goes under the road at a tiny bridge, where the road begins to climb. The aforementioned highland cattle hang out there and never venture up over the hill as far south as Heasta. Their grub is there, maybe that’s why. The lines at the Harrapul fank must be buried now because lorries and other vehicles pull off the road there and park up and would be running right over the cable all the time but the damage is very infrequent. A couple of years ago a huge lorry full of tree trunks was there and there was a problem with the copper so no prizes for guessing.

That was the ridiculous situation twenty years ago at the Heasta fank, with vehicles running right over the cable bundle and parking on top of it. Obviously caused repeated catastrophic damage until BT sobered up and buried the cable. Which makes you wonder why in the name of all that’s holy they had not just done the right thing in the first place.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »

Ah, now I see it. (And it doesn't help that the heathens of Goggle spell Harrapul as "Harrapool".) Thank you for pointing my view onto the correct location.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 12:08:00 AM »

I managed to get it to come up in street view. The phone line presumable]y has to criss the road from the west side to the east side at some point along the southwards run, as it is visible on the east side of the road at the stream by the tiny bridge over the Allt a’ Choire south of the aforementioned Harrapul fank. So at the fank, I don’t know which side of the road the line is on. It is buried underneath either all the loose stone or the mud by one side of the road or the other.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 12:51:45 AM »

Upon taking an as close a look as possible at the location of the bridge, there are two ducts that cross over the stream to the east of the bridge. As the road also turns to the south-east, directly south of the bridge, a straight-line projection of the two ducts would then take them to the western side of the road. But who knows, for sure?  :-\

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 02:03:05 AM »

@Burrakucat -  I’m just not sure exactly what happens around the bridge, although I’m seeing what you’re seeing. On the higher ground further up the hill, further to the south than the bridge, the cable can be seen lying on the rocks on the east side of the road and it is visible on the east side all the way to me and down into Heasta itself for at least some of the way.

At the Heasta cattle grid if memory serves the cable should be visible going over the stream immediately south of the Heasta fank. South of the Heasta cattle grid, ie right by my house, the cable is east of the road and west of the stream (Allt an Daraich - trans ‘stream of the oak’; traditionally an ‘allt’ was supposed to be required to have two steep sides, or so I was told. This does qualify as such, where it goes over two impressive waterfalls, one by my house and one below it. In some places you see a ‘leth-allt’ ([ˈʎe(h) aʊɫ̪t̪]), which has one steep side.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 07:03:39 PM »

With those extra details, I can confirm the presence of the cable exactly as you describe.

The two ducts crossing the stream, south of the bridge, must be some other service . . . may be to the (farm?) buildings, accessed through the gate to the west of the road.

Once south of the Heasta fank and over the cattle grid, the cable is a little more hidden. But knowing that it is there (the pole from which your two aerial drops emanate is a good give away!), it can be spotted further down the road, into the village.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 08:21:47 PM »

Sorry to ask again Weaver, but if you could capture a log file (routerip:8000/data/logfile) containing one of the jumps to 100+db it would be great if you could save and send it to me. If it is as simple as negative values starting at 100 then it will be trivial to fix that in the next firmware, but really need some data to make sure.  :)

Have made a fix for changing the time after boot via NTP, updating all the current log entries, also some nicer javascript with buttons for all available graphs etc, and updating each file under /data on access, but it doesnt seem worth putting out another version if the SNRM graphs are still messed up on your line.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 04:21:28 AM »

I’m sorry for that. I simply overlooked your original post at the time. Duh. Unfortunately just now none of the modems are exhibiting that phenomenon so I will have to wait until they do. :-(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »

Three OR vans here at the same time. One man has come all the way over the mountains from Fort William, so that’s a five hour round trip. Section of cable being mended at cabinet 10, many users affected apparently. Repairs might continue tomorrow. Also one or more colleagues are out in the field because all our guys here are waiting on him finishing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »

I wonder if it is at the PCP10, on the north side of the A87, or at the associated AIO, Huawei equipped cabinet, on the south side of the A87 that is undergoing the remedial cabling work?

(Currently being in the haggis hunting season, I wonder if the fault is a result of revenge action by those beasties . . .  :-\  ;)  )

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »

Can a PCP have an associated AIO cabinet?

Aren't all AIO cabinets given their own PCP number?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »

That is a very good point.

I know, thanks to Mrs Weaver's photography, that the AIO cabinet, south of the A87, is marked with a big 10. What I do not know, is the number of the PCP on the north side of the A87 and west of the Claymore Restaurant.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »

About two cabs, an FTTC one and a PCP one that are on the main road by the Claymore restaurant, I can’t see these cabs in Magenta Codelook somehow. Am I using the site incorrectly? It says both ‘updated 2019’ and ‘updated 2017’, whatever that means.

Our gentlemen were offered refreshments, declined.

Here’s a pic taken by Mrs Weaver https://ibb.co/7vgRbnN

Line 4 BBEU20709519:
Today 15:32:50   BT Test xDSL Status Check:Pass Standalone sub test passed successfully.Pass OK. Circuit In Sync BRAS=2535kb/s FTR=2278kb/s MSR=2848kb/s ServOpt=1 I/L=I A SERVICE OPTION CHANGE ORDER IS IN PROGRESS ON THIS LINE Up Sync=550kb/s LoopLoss=39.9dB SNR=6.1dB ErrSec=0 HECErr=0 Cells=0 Down Sync=2865kb/s LoopLoss=63.5dB SNR=6.1dB ErrSec=0 HECErr=N/A Cells=0
Today 15:16:18   Today 15:17:20   BT Test xDSL Copper Test:Inconclusive More diagnostics required Line test failure. Algorithm unable to continue. Inconclusive More diagnostics required Line test failure. Algorithm unable to continue. DS05:Test Failure - Please Retry - if unsuccessful report problem to OR via a Trouble Report

Line 3 BBEU20700055:
Today 15:32:48   BT Test xDSL Status Check:Pass Standalone sub test passed successfully.Pass OK. Circuit In Sync BRAS=2912kb/s FTR=2278kb/s MSR=2848kb/s ServOpt=1 I/L=I A SERVICE OPTION CHANGE ORDER IS IN PROGRESS ON THIS LINE Up Sync=382kb/s LoopLoss=39.8dB SNR=6dB ErrSec=0 HECErr=0 Cells=0 Down Sync=3290kb/s LoopLoss=63.5dB SNR=2.9dB ErrSec=0 HECErr=N/A Cells=0
BT Fault 3-948750620269 SFI has been cancelled as line is not RWT
Right When Tested; End User Equipment;IP session terminates on RAS, check cust logon

Line 2 BBEU29735631:
Today 17:00:00   BT Fault 3-948741377434 SFI has been cancelled as line is not RWT
Right When Tested; End User Equipment;All BT tests completed ok, diagnostics show no fault condition
Today 15:32:25   Today 15:32:32   BT Test xDSL Status Check:Pass Standalone sub test passed successfully.Pass OK. Circuit In Sync BRAS=2385kb/s FTR=1817kb/s MSR=2272kb/s ServOpt=1 I/L=I Resysch A SERVICE OPTION CHANGE ORDER IS IN PROGRESS ON THIS LINE Up Sync=535kb/s LoopLoss=40.3dB SNR=6dB ErrSec=0 HECErr=0 Cells=0 Down Sync=2763kb/s LoopLoss=63.5dB SNR=6.1dB ErrSec=0 HECErr=N/A Cells=0
Today 11:05:02   Today 15:32:18   Management review TR 219AUX needs a review
Today 15:16:32   Today 15:17:26   BT Test xDSL Copper Test:Inconclusive More diagnostics required Line test failure. Algorithm unable to continue.Inconclusive More diagnostics required Line test failure. Algorithm unable to continue. DS05:Test Failure - Please Retry - if unsuccessful report problem to OR via a Trouble Report

Speeds are all back to normal.

Haggises will be subject to a mass slaughter in a week in the lowlands, maybe even up here in The Highlands to some extent, as a result of greatly increased mobility. It could be that haggises (‘taigeisean’, ‘prainnseagan’ or just ‘maragan(-gallda)’) are flooding north taking refuge, and gnawing on cables, as Burrakucat suggests.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:35:43 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 10:20:35 PM »

Almost a flock (or swarm) of Openreach vans!  :)

In the report for BBEU20700055 --

BT Fault 3-948750620269 SFI has been cancelled as line is not RWT

I read that as "the Special Faults Investigation appointment has been cancelled as the line is not Right When Tested." I am baffled by the logic.  ???

Pages: 1 [2] 3