Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Brexit  (Read 2158 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
My Brexit
« on: January 19, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »

seen this?  ;D

Andy Serkis doing a parody of Gollum as Theresa May and her Brexit agreement

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NpExkViy6M[/youtube]
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: My Brexit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

Cleverly done. ;D

Whatever way you look at it, she stuffed it up & the whole thing is a mess.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:30:51 PM »

Plus 1
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 06:33:04 PM »

The whole thing certainly is a mess, I think whoever and whichever party was in charge it would still end up a mess, it's just so complicated with so many people to try and please, an impossible task.

I also don't think the general public should ever have been asked to vote on this, MP's barely have an understanding of it all, so how was the general public supposed to make an informed decision?

In the end roughly only a third of the country voted to leave, a third remain and a third never even voted.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »

I saw someone post this last week.   The Australians make it seem so simple  ???

https://www.facebook.com/LTEUorguk/videos/372783730182243/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:22:21 AM »

I saw someone post this last week.   The Australians make it seem so simple  ???

https://www.facebook.com/LTEUorguk/videos/372783730182243/

What a load of nonsense. That's so simplistic and just another pipe dream.

I laugh every week when I watch things like Question Time and see idiots sitting in the audience saying nonsense like "They need use more than we need them, they have German cars to sell to us."
"She should tell then take it or leave it and the EU will come running"

No they bloody well won't.
Newsflash, they don't need us more than we need them.

**It is true that the EU sells more to the UK (£341 Billion a year) than the UK does to the EU (£274 Billion a year) but that burden would be split between 27 different countries.

If all trade between the 2 stopped tomorrow that's a £274 Billion hit to UK exports, but only £12.6 Billion each between the 27.
I know the EU funding/trade isn't equally split like that but it shows we need them more than they need us.

The EU cannot afford to give a country who is leaving, without taking the 4 freedoms they keep banging on about, the same terms and unrestricted access as they get now.
If they did that everyone would leave.

I'm no fan of the EU, in the slightest. It's 1 of the most undemocratic institutions there is.
The country was sold a whopper by a bunch of muppets though.
Easiest trade deal in history, exact same benefits with none of the commitments.

Uh huh, and I'm gonna start shitting golden eggs in the morning.

not a fan of politics on forums, they descent in to rants like mine above.
Both sides of the debate have been equally let down by their politicians.

I love the video in the OP, sums up Theresa May perfectly.

** 2017 figures
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:25:32 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »

Enoch Powell was right, we should have never gone in !.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »

4,514 out of 34,105 of our laws have been influenced by EU laws - only 72 of those were imposed against our will.

See https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1087360379691380736.html for a full analysis.

People voted for Brexit believing the lies fed to them not just during the referendum campaign (£350 million for the NHS, Turkey about to join the EU) but by the likes of the Sun and Express over many years (e.g. straight bananas).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »

What worries me most is that a precedent seems to have been set, whereby the “losing side” in a democratic vote have refused to accept the result.   This applies not just to MPs, but to the whole population, egged on by media.

What this means for the future, who knows.   For example, if a general election returns a result that enough people, members of a self-appointed ‘elite’  don’t like, will they try to overturn the election result?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »

People voted for Brexit believing the lies fed to them not just during the referendum campaign (£350 million for the NHS, Turkey about to join the EU) but by the likes of the Sun and Express over many years (e.g. straight bananas).

Actually, many people voted to leave the EU for all sorts of reasons, just as many who voted to remain had a variety of reasons for doing so. Categorising them in the way you do displays a simplistic bias, but adds nothing to the debate.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »

I actually agree with the above, the vast majority of people had their views shaped via the media, both before and during the run up to the vote.

What worries me most is that a precedent seems to have been set, whereby the “losing side” in a democratic vote have refused to accept the result.   This applies not just to MPs, but to the whole population, egged on by media.

I agree with this to, the remainers are clearly causing issues with leaving, and Corbyn has his own political agenda in mind not what is best for the UK.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 11:29:40 PM »

I here what sevenlayermuddle is saying. I have very mixed opinions that are self contradictory and in the end came down on the remain side despite my own reservations. My opinion about the referendum result is to point out that democracy is a disaster because there are a lot of self-interested, stupid or evil people about. Trump was ‘democratically elected’, Hitler lost an election but did not gain the position of chancellor by a coup d’état. My point is that people make horrible decisions. Remember the fiasco of the W Bush v Gore election. Democracy only works when people are educated well-informed and right-minded. You might well ask what I propose instead and how I can criticise the referendum. The referendum was a vote on the absence of something, with nothing concrete being proposed in its place, so it sounded like something meaningful but was not a real workable proposal. There should have been a plan and that should have been put to the people, not just ‘delete something’. No one thought things through. That’s the best I can do and I am unsure about much of it. Don’t bother to criticise my ‘views’ as I have doubts myself and things are still being mulled over.

The other problem is ‘where we are’. I suspect that Brexit is a bit like the US Confederate States; part of America wanting to leave. How much is that a fair, relevant comparison? Part of an organism, an arm, say, wanting to leave the body. There comes a point when the level of dependence and interconnectedness is such that disconnection results in death. We aren’t at that level yet but the amount of cell damage is likely to be crippling and that was always clear to anyone who bothered to think about it. Also a backlash from the powerful EU would not be surprising and that would represent more damage. Voting to leave, regardless of the rights or wrongs of the motivation, was always a vote for economic chaos and becoming like ‘The South’.

I don’t think these half-formed ideas are very helpful.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 07:58:04 AM »

A very thoughtful post, Weaver, and I must say I agree with your sentiments.

Democracy is like any other game. It only truly works when all the players act in good faith and with full understanding of the rules and consequences.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »

As displaced says a very good post Weaver.

I constantly changed my mind over which way to vote and eventually voted to remain, as I saw that as the least disruptive and problematic course to take. I was clearly correct in the short term, long term nobody knows which way the EU will go.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »

A question: by the Brexit argument, would first Scotland secede, then the Gaidhealtachd split from the lowlands, followed by Skye and Lochalsh separating from the rest of Roinn na Gaidhealtachd after an anti-them-in-Inverness vote? Full disclosure: I am constantly guilty of the latter. In all things I have always been an exiteer but only a vocal one, not a voter.

Hilarious if someone in Scotland which voted overwhelmingly to remain votes to leave the UK. That might or might not be anti-english racism for the crimes of centuries ago, or poorly aimed hatred for the genocide of The Clearances, or the result of a horrible decision to go and see Braveheart or forty other motivations. Immediately there was an opportunistic attempt to get a second referendum to try and achieve Scexit here after its earlier failure. Words fail me.

Warning. I am no political commentator since I never read the news and never leave this room. You have been warned. About me and, I sincerely hope, by history as always.