Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Differences inside filters

(1/4) > >>

snadge:
I have seen some pictures and videos of the innard's of a filter and saw that some have just a few components, others have loads... so I thought I would open 2 of mine and one has twice the number of components compared to the other.

why is there such a difference in components? 
if they were to do the same job you would have thought they would all be very similar?

I wonder if ones with more components are any better/worse?

ejs:
The ones with very few components were probably designed to be as cheap as possible with little regard for how well they work. Others may be designed to work properly.

snadge:
i will test them over the coming days - i only like to have my line down no more than once per day just to keep DLM happy

Its wierd you mention that the ones with lesser components are likely cheaper (and probably less effective), as the one with lesser components is the one I was using previously and gave much better results than a Mk3 SSFP, I also saw a video in which the person in the video had 3 filters apart, 2 of them had many components and one was simple like the one above, yet he got much better results of his "cheaper" one too...

ejs:
Yes well, if the only thing you want to connect to the line is the DSL modem, then no filter is required. The filter is to stop the DSL signal interfering with the telephones, and to stop the telephones interfering with the DSL. How was the performance of the filters evaluated? Speed, errors, stability, effects of using a telephone on the DSL? If you're not connecting any telephone, no filtering is needed.

I thought it was well known that the common mode noise filtering in the filtered faceplates sometimes caused a slight reduction in speed, probably due to attenuating the signal a little more. The Mk3 has a stronger filter than the Mk2. I guess it was decided that the faceplates were an overall benefit to the majority of lines, but all lines are different and what's best for one may not be what's best for another.

Maybe test the filters by plugging the modem into their phone outlet to see how much DSL signal they let through.

snadge:
aye I think I will do that, I will try one method per day over the next few days or so

doesnt the modem drop sync without filters when someone tries to ring in?  or is that just when theres a phone on the other end of the incoming signal to receive it?, am I right in saying the incoming call comes with a slight voltage/power increase too?

I suppose it is sensible to expect a little bit of loss from any kind of RF filtering, espeically if you have TWO lol.. supposedly the Zyxel 8924 has one built in too... so thats TWO I have

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version